Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,033   Online: 870

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Schneider 350mm F/11 Apo-Tele-Xenar....

I think I am going to pull the trigger on this lens so I have it for an upcoming project this Winter. I have read a few posts about it on LFF and it seems to be a great lens, but I am wondering how people are getting along with it now.

I think it will fill out my kit rather nicely and not need an extension board on my 45N-2, at first I will be mostly using it for a commissioned fine art project for ski area scenics so 90% of the time it will be used from 100 feet to infinity.

At the moment I use:

65mm 4.5 Grandagon
    90mm 6.8 Grandagon
    135mm 5.6 Apo Sironar
    150mm 5.6 Symmar S MC
    180mm 5.6 Apo Symmar
    240mm 9.0 Fujinon A

I do find the 240 a tiny bit dark to focus in dusk shots, but most of the time it is manageable, so how about losing 2/3rd of a stop with the 350?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an F11 300mm lens on my 4x5 and focusing is not bad. In fact I use fold-out viewfinder shade, instead of a dark-cloth and it is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks IC, I plan on ordering the lens tomorrow when B&H re-opens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it's f;11...... BUT it's a long lens, so the corners don't darken as with a wide angle, and the long focal length means you won't have much DOF even at f;11. As long as you have a good dark cloth and give your eyes time to adapt a bit, you should have no problems viewing and focussing with it. By all accounts it's a very good lens although it's not a true tele - you'll need 350mm~ of bellows at infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 395mm of bellows extension so it will be fine. But now that I think about it, this lens will produce the desired reach compared to my 240 will it not? For example, my 240 is equal to about a 70mm in 35 where as the 350 should be around 105mm, at infinity that is. If it changes at closer ranges that is ok, I just really need this to be sharp as heck "100mm-ish" at infinity....

That is what I am after anyway....if it works it will literally pay for it self the first few days I use it...

Edit, I just put my order in, now the wait until it arrives....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 10-13-2012 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got the extension tube that Schneider made that goes with the lens

The Extension Tube is 44mm and needs a No3 Lens Board.

Useful, if like me, you are running out of Bellows

I don't find it a problem focusing mine

I'm very pleased with mine - although its quite a jump from 240mm

Good luck with yours

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    I got the extension tube that Schneider made that goes with the lens

The Extension Tube is 44mm and needs a No3 Lens Board.

Useful, if like me, you are running out of Bellows

I don't find it a problem focusing mine

I'm very pleased with mine - although its quite a jump from 240mm

Good luck with yours

Martin

Thanks Martin. If I start to use the lens for closer subjects in the future, I suppose I would get the extension tube, otherwise this is going to be a tight compression landscape lens 99% of the time.

I am glad to hear it is quite a jump from a 240, this is exactly what I am looking for.

I can't wait to try it out on tight ski area Winter landscapes, it should be brilliant for that and is what the commissioned job is that made my mind up to finally go ahead and buy it.

Shooter
    Large Format

Anyone wanting to sell their APO-Tele-Xenar 350mm f11?

Wanting to buy this lens used if possible. Anyone got a clean copy to sell me? Best, Angus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't use this particular lens but a 360 Fuji A, which I find ideal as a focal-length step up from 240 for both 4x5 and 8x10 usage. Good luck
    finding one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never seen a 360 A since getting into LF some 18 months ago. I think I have seen two 350's in the past year. Figure instead of waiting who knows how long for one at $700-$800 you can spend just $950 now and get a brand new one from B&H....you can not even do that with the 360 A.

I'm glad I bought it new and got right to work, it is a very effective lens in my set. At some point in the not-so-distant future, Rodenstock and Schneider are going to stop making these lenses for the reason that even if the price is fairly close between new and used like it is with the 350, people just flat out refuse to pay new prices for these lenses. So with a newer lens like the 350, they could be far more rare because it was introduced well after LF's peak and the numbers made will reflect that.

It seems like since you shoot both 4x5 & 8x10, you ought to just suck it up and get it new, you never know when announcements of a discontinuation could surface...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-30-2013 at 07:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin