Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,342   Online: 767

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cant seem to close my linhof tech iv

Hi,
    I haven't been able to close up my recently bought linhof technika iv. The right strut which is part 12 here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ch-manual.html
    won't disengage. It looks like its not lined up exactly with the little piece that recieves it. Has anyone had this problem? I'd appreciate any suggestions. thanks

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve

Yes I have a similar issue with my 5x7 super Technika III. I'm not certain this is exactly the same issue as yours, however the struts sometimes go out from their "channel." It is quite easy to put them back in the right place when you are close to the first position.
    I also find quite hard to set the camera in the second or third position. It requires a strong pressure on the struts to engage/disengage them properly. To give you an idea, I have to put my camera on my knees and press the studs simultaneously with my palms to disengage them from position 2 or 3 (some anti-seize grease on the shaft and sanding slightly the nicks might help) however the camera does not look to have any mechanical problem. Everything is straight as it should be.
    Hope it make sense.

Dominique

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some precision regarding my previous email. It requires an extra effort to engage/disengage the struts in/from position 2x and 3x but the struts are not stuck and the camera works smoothly in the 3x positions (the precision mechanic is not under stress). I have just greased the shafts on which the struts hang with ball bearing grease and it does make a difference.
    My camera was not used during the last 25 years and there are some signs of corrosion on the struts which might be the reason of the extra-effort required.
    Sanding the struts with ultra-fine grit sand paper will definitively improve the situation for me.

Steeve, on my camera it is possible to unscrew the shafts on which the struts hang. If they are the same, this might be an option to unlock your strut?

Dominique

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I often have to push with some force to disengage the struts from the pins that hold the bed in the desired location on my Tech V. I think it might be helpful to push down slightly on the bed while disengaging the struts to allow them to move more easily off of the pins. A third hand might also be useful for this operation.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the help guys. I finally got it. I held down the channel piece with a screwdriver and pushed down really hard on strut with my palm. I sort of bent the channel a little but at least it seems to work now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin