Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,593   Online: 695

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shutter size for Wollensak Raptar Wide Angle 90/6.8

Hi all.

The above lens recently came into my possession via an ebay seller from Milwaukee. Lens cells appears to be in good shape. Alas, the original Rapax shutter (speeds from T, B up to 1/400th) is sluggish and often times sticks at all speeds, contrary to what the seller described in his listing. Oh well...

Although I have no doubt a competent repairman can get the speeds firing right again, I am curious about what conventional shutter size this lens needs, i.e. say if I were to hunt for a replacement shutter, and aside from a Wollensak Rapax shutter, what size shutter do I need to look for? Do I need a #00 or #000 size, or won't this lens fit either? I know it won't fit a Copal #0 or #1, I tried.

Measuring the diameter of the thread on the front & rear of the shutter (where the lens cells screw in), the diameter is approx 23mm to 24mm. Ideally I would use a caliper, but I don't have one.

Also, this would be pertinent to what kind of a lensboard I would need to fit this lens. If I know what size shutter this lens requires, I can then find a lensboard with the appropriate hole size for the shutter.

Would appreciate all input, thanks in advance.

-Dani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Short answer: send shutter out for overhaul. If it works but is slow it can be brought back to full operating condition. Overhauling shutter is much better than trying to replace shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but here it is again...

You can gleen some information on lenbard fitting from this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...m-f6-8-Angulon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most likely situation is that the lens cells of a Wollensak Raptar will NOT screw directly into a Copal shutter of any size without modifying the shutter.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an informative thread on the Wollensak 90/6.8 lens and Rapax shutter with the needed lensboard hole size on the graflex.org forum, just showed up:
    http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6394

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    The most likely situation is that the lens cells of a Wollensak Raptar will NOT screw directly into a Copal shutter of any size without modifying the shutter.
    It isn't just likely that it won't go, it won't go.

Each Rochester manufacturer (Kodak, Wollensak, Ilex) had its own proprietary shutter size standards. None match the Compur/Copal/Prontor/Seiko standard.

Dani, Rapax shutters are at least as good as Compurs. Have the shutter the lens came in overhauled or try to get the seller to take lens and shutter back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin