Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,345   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

4x5 for close-up shots. Need some advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	519.8 KB 
ID:	58545

this is as close as I can get to my subject, but I'd like to fill the 4x5 frame. I'm shooting with a 4x5 field camera with a 5.5/270mm lens. BELLOWS DRAW EXTENSION is 75 - 340mm. What can I do to fill the frame with this subject?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To get an image the same size as the original on your negative you need 540 mm bellows draw with a 270 mm lens. So you need an extension between your lens and your camera front. An easier way is to shoot an image of your subject in a mirror. Image will be set on infinity.

An enlarger lens can double as a closeup lens. If you have a 135mm or 150mm, you're in business.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a 5.6/135mm lens as well for the 4x5, I'm new to this so going thru a learning process. I'll try that first. I also have a 105mm enlarging lens.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, thinking out of the box, or more accurately within it, you can always crop.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can also try a 50mm enlarging lens and see what you get. Would have to be pretty close, though.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks all, Ian, gave me some great advice too.

Yes, cropping is an option for scanning, but my intent is to do contact prints and show the neg border. The contact prints will be the final print. For now, I'm going to experiment more with my 135 lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How large is your subject? How much of the frame do you want to fill? The two will tell you how much magnification you need.

Given how much magnification you need, how best to get it?

The magic formula for extension (from the infinity position) given desired magnification and the lens' focal length is: extension = focal length * (magnification)

I gave the magic formula for extension from the infinity position because 270/5.5 smells like a telephoto lens, with bellows draw at infinity considerably less than focal length. Oh, and by the way, tele lenses perform poorly closeup. And if you can't get the magnification you need with your 270 you're going to have to use a shorter lens anyway.

If you need magnification > 1 and don't use a lens that's symmetrical (and I mean symmetrical, with the rear cell a front cell facing backwards) such as an Apo Ronar, you should reverse the lens. This rules out lenses in #1 shutters 'cos the shutters aren't symmetrical and won't allow cells to be swapped front to rear. #0 shutters are symmetrical so a lens in a #0 is easily reversed. Lenses made for general out-and-about photography usually perform poorly closeup, but since you're going to be contact printing this is more a theoretical than a real consideration. But if you enlarge ...

Before you spend any money on lenses or waste much film, buy a copy of Lester Lefkowitz' book The Manual of Closeup Photography and study it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I''ll check that out, thank you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fireboy View Post
    I have a 5.6/135mm lens as well for the 4x5, I'm new to this so going thru a learning process. I'll try that first. I also have a 105mm enlarging lens.
    I have used a 135 mm Nikkor W lens to get 1:1 magnification on 4x5.
    For 1:1 with a non-telephoto 135 mm lens, the object-to-lens distance equals the lens-to-film distance = twice focal length = 270 mm.
    At 270 mm bellows draw, you must increase the exposure by x4 to compensate for the bellows extension.
    This is essentially inverse-square law for the distance from lens to film: at large distance to the object, the bellows is approximately 135 mm.
    At twice that, the light falls off by 2 squared = 4.
    Did you mean that you can't get the camera closer to the object, or that this was the closest focusing distance with your maximum bellows extension with the 270 mm lens?
    Last edited by TimFox; 10-17-2012 at 04:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin