Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,883   Posts: 1,629,725   Online: 727

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    It does have a serial number, do you know who I can contact to find out more information? Any info on the speed graphic 5x7's are scarce online, even at graflex.org.

The 15" lens might be a great portrait lens for me as long as I can get enough bellows draw from my Horseman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the 5x7 isn't to rare, they are nice ...
    a friend has one , he loves it !

make sure store it with the FP shutter on 0
    otherwise you will mess with the spring ...

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    A fad, like cilantro and now spinach in everything.
    Seriously?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lenses don't go on that camera. They go with a pacemaker (post WWII) speed graphic. The 5x7 would most likely use wooden lensboards. (which you can make yourself if you wish to use it) Looks like a decent haul. The speed graphic is probably 1930's or earlier. You'd have to compare it with photos of others online. I have a 4x5 speed of similar vintage that's late 20's early 30's.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also of note: if the flash handle is a Graflex 3-Cell, which it appears to be, those sell for well over $100 on Eb@y because one was used as the basis for a lightsaber prop in the original Star Wars movie.

http://www.squidoo.com/graflex-3-cel...truction-guide

Jonathan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    According to Richard Paine's A Review of Graflex, the 5x7 Speed Graphic was produced up to 1941 with little of the updating found in the Anniversary model. If the tubular finder is original, your camera was made in 1939 or later.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Also of note: if the flash handle is a Graflex 3-Cell, which it appears to be, those sell for well over $100 on Eb@y because one was used as the basis for a lightsaber prop in the original Star Wars movie.

http://www.squidoo.com/graflex-3-cel...truction-guide

Jonathan
    I knew it looked familiar! Mine is a 3-cell handle. Seems as though this and my Heiland handle were both used and modified as lightsabres for the Star Wars movie. If not for the fact that I absolutely love these 2 flashes and I'm sitting on over 300 flashbulbs I might have just sold it on the big bay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    Seriously?
    Seriously. It covers 4x5 with no room for movements, it's horrendously heavy, it isn't the sharpest lens, and it's difficult and very expensive to put in a shutter.
    The only reason to use one is for the very shallow DOF afforded by the wide aperture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    According to Richard Paine's A Review of Graflex, the 5x7 Speed Graphic was produced up to 1941 with little of the updating found in the Anniversary model. If the tubular finder is original, your camera was made in 1939 or later.
    It's not original. I found the original flip-up gunner style finder in one of the parts boxes, the holes in the body lined up perfectly. I took off the tubular finder about an hour ago.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It covers 4x5 with no room for movements.
    Not entirely true. I haven't measured precisely, but I can get some rise out of mine, as well as a modicum of tilt, swing and shift. I get dark corners when I tilt it back as far as the Speed Graphic's front standard will allow, but movements are indeed possible, especially at portrait focusing distances.

I will concede that, when used wide open, the movements are commonly used to augment the lens's quirks and to exploit its shallow DoF rather than correct for perspective in the traditional manner.

Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin