Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,520   Online: 965

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Symmar-s 300 5.6 on 8x10 shutter advice

Hello, thought I was pretty clued up about lenses and shutters when i dived into 8x10 but apparently not, got myself into a bit of a muddle

I built a Bull Dog 8x10 camera (which is actually a quite sturdy and robust camera with some decent movements) I purchased this lens on a sinar lens board it didn't come with a shutter and im struggling to figure out how to get it set up on one and what my options are. the lens is currently mounted in a diaphragm control which has only added to my confusion! any help would be great

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schneider symmar-s 300mm.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	58722

cheers max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can often buy lenses 'in barrel' or 'in shutter' The lens you have purchased is was intended to be used with a Sinar Shutter on a Sinar/Horseman camera. This does not mean that you can't use it, you just have to work out some way of timing your exposures. A Packard shutter would work, if you go for a Sinar shutter make sure that it comes with the cables as they are required and both quite rare and very expensive.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The lens is mounted in a Sinar DB mount. As Ed says it is meant for use with a Sinar Shutter.

If you want a lens in shutter then I would recommend selling this one and buying another.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys, yeah thinking im going to sell it and just go with something in a copal shutter will have a look around here for recommendations for 8x10 portrait lenses

Shooter
    Large Format
    A 300mm can make a great portrait lens on 8x10. Just remember it's considered a "normal" focal length on 8x10.

It would be similar to using a 50mm on a 35mm film camera or full frame digital. It actually feels a slightly wider to me due to the 8x10 format being more square. A 14" or 360mm feels more nomal to me.

Jock Sturges used a Fujinon 250mm F/6.7 lens for his early work. Yousuf Karsh used a Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar and I read somewhere that Richard Avedon used a Schneider 360mm lens for his American West project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cells should be direct fits in a Compur/Copal #3. Good luck finding a shutter.

Alan's right, though, if you can more or less recover your outlay on lens and board -- sell them as a unit -- you can probably get a 300 in shutter for less than you've paid plus the cost of a shutter. Either way, though, the shutter will need an overhaul. That's the way used shutters are.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Copal #3 "In Stock For Immediate Shippment"

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals
    ...for $1190. Shop around and you should easily be able to find a clean, late model 300mm plasmat in Copal 3 for half that or less.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin