Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,273   Online: 834

Shooter
    Multi Format

CLA advice for Graflex shutter

I've got a 2x3 Century Graphic with a 101mm Kodak Ektar lens in a Graphic shutter. The slow speeds stick and the high speeds all fire at what seems like the same speed. I've been using the camera for my night photos on T, but I'd really like to get the shutter working properly. Im not really too eager to spend on a pro CLA what I could buy a whole new lens for.

Im wondering if there are any good resources for DIY CLA. Any good resources for this shutter in particular?
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    those are not complex shutters, if you google around you will find many resources -- generally speaking you unscrew the lens, there's usually a retaining screw or ring holding the face plate on, which you take off, Under that is another ring with cams cut into it that you can see levers on the mechanism engaging in. Take that off, you can see the slow=speed train. Most people use a good solvent and very very very little oil.

this web site goes into many shutters: http://www.daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/index.php

but if you are at all unsure, or tend to lose little bitty parts, and you want to use this to take pictures and be reliable, send it off. Essex Camera Repair http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_li...?brand=GRAFLEX charges $90 to do one of those, and worth every penny.

Look at it this way -- sure, that's what another shutter costs, but ALL those shutters are 50 years old and need a go-through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you decide not to do it yourself, there are many options: Flutot's Camera Repair and ICT Camera (both in CA), Frank Marshman (VA), Paul Ebel (WI), SKGrimes (RI) are some that come immediately to mind. Sanford Camera Repair (Mass Ave, Arlington) can do it too, I think. Also possible Zack's Camera Repair in RI. Google around, or look in the Large Format Photography Forum under CLA.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try this guy. He's a Graflex freak himself.
    http://www.baldmtn.com/index.html

Vic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A second recommendation for Ken Ruth at Bald Mountain. He just shipped my Speed Graphic back to me (en route) after it took a nasty tumble off of my tripod during a night shoot. He came highly recommended.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin