Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,462   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Fun with my borked Speed Graphic.

I think I may have figured this out, but I need a bit of help.

It seems that the kids didn't do as much damage to the shutter as I previously thought. there's a couple of rips, but I can seal those with tape if I need to. The issue I'm having, though, is that the shutter switch seems frozen.

That one there on the side. As you can see, the shutter is relatively smooth. If I get a new back, I could get this thing working if I can get the shutter trip lever unstuck.

Suggestions?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, be sure and get a Graflok back... Not a Graphic back...
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Eh. I have a Mamiya TLR that I will be using for roll film and I do fine with the spring backs.

If I can get the shutter working again I'm going to use it for barrel lenses. If I can't, I'm going basically rip out the shutter and turn the camera into an interesting pinhole.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used invisible mend fabric to repair shutter curtains and bellows. I can't recommend a make though - the fabric I was using isn't made any more the Dutch factory closed. It's thin enough not to affect the shutters function and the one I used is also light tight.

How badly damaged is the back, is anything salvageable, I might make a small donation plus postage for parts

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A picture is worth 1000 words...

Spring is completely off. I don't have the part anymore, either, because I think someone threw it away. Might have been me, even, thinking I wouldn't have time to fix it. I'm stupid sometimes. In my defense, though, I thought I was giving up on all of this. But now I have time. Or, well, kinda.

Also, I *really* am the Home for Wayward and Weary Cameras. I don't have ONE camera that looks nice cosmetically. Heh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WOOOHOO! I got it. And now I know the biggest issue: the tension on the bottom roller is off. Like...way off. I think that with some baggies for screws, a sharpie to mark the baggies, photos taken as I go, a shutter speed tester, and a repair manual I could actually fix this stupid thing.

Anyone know someone in Iowa, or who may be coming *through* Iowa, who would have one? I know I should just buy one if I'm going to be doing anything with large format, but that way I don't have to spend the money right away.

ETA: Okay, I have a *somewhat* working shutter. This is good. So if I fudge a back and throw a weird lens on the front, I can test.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This site: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...icmanuals.html has a service manual for the top RF Pacemaker, but I suspect the rear shutter info will be very close to the same as your camera. It is a PDF file, so you can enlarge the pages on screen. http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewforum.php?f=1 may have the answers to specific questions on shutter service if you want to take time to look through all the posts.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson View Post
    This site: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...icmanuals.html has a service manual for the top RF Pacemaker, but I suspect the rear shutter info will be very close to the same as your camera. It is a PDF file, so you can enlarge the pages on screen. http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewforum.php?f=1 may have the answers to specific questions on shutter service if you want to take time to look through all the posts.

Len
    I got it. Shutter is working 100% of the time. I want to fix the small rip in the smallest slit, but then I can use it. So all I need is a new back and I'm in business. I think I have a line on one, so we'll see how that goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    I had a speed where the shutter was TOTALLY ripped on the high speed slit..but I used FILAMENT tape on it with rubber cement/fabric patch...just on the edges where it was ripped and it worked for long time...then I sold it and it is apparently still in service....use filament tape..that stuff is STRONG....filimants in the direction of shutter travel....be as THIN withthe tape and patching as possible as rolling it up adds a bit of girth to the shutter...them filiments are a lifesaver...super strong like fishing line.
    I got lucky. It's JUST the very edges that are ripped. If I can get gaffer's tape, rip it thin, and apply it to both sides, I should be good to go.

I also *almost* just bought a new curtain. Almost. But I LOVE this stupid ugly camera. The more I can keep original the better.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I got it. Shutter is working 100% of the time. I want to fix the small rip in the smallest slit, but then I can use it. So all I need is a new back and I'm in business. I think I have a line on one, so we'll see how that goes.
    New back will be in the mail by tomorrow!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin