Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,765   Online: 1013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    While I'm not up to date on what the cameras you mention should sell for, I can throw in some background in support of the Sinar F2. While all of the cameras you mentioned are monorails, the Sinar "F" line was designated as their "Field" monorail line (hence the "F"). While not as easy to pack as a true folding field camera, the Sinar Fs were lighter, and designed to close up more compactly than anything else in their line. I had an early model Sinar F, and backpacked with it quite a lot, although I ultimately replaced it with something lighter and even more packable. Also, the entire Sinar line is modular, so that you can swap parts from more expensive models, both in terms of function and format. You can create what was marketed as a Sinar "C" by replacing the rear standard on an F with the yaw-free back from the more expensive models, or (with the appropriate bellows) turn a 4x5 F into a 5x7 F, and so on. Lots of bits and pieces of the Sinar system can be found used. Lastly, in defense of monorails in general, and the Sinar in particular, it will have more and greater displacements than any field camera (i.e. full movements on both standards, and larger allowable amounts of those movements), as well as the ability to extend the monorail for longer lenses, and the availability of bag bellows for really short lenses. While I ultimately traded both my Sinar F and a Wista/Zone VI for my current Canham 4x5, there are times when I miss that old Sinar.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks.

I'm looking at the 200$ setup. Does the lens there give enough viewing area for movements? I'm worried that this lens won't be wide enough or have enough room to play with.
    Last edited by totowroe; 10-25-2012 at 05:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added more detail

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    totowroe: None of the four choices listed in your original post was $200, so I'm not clear on what lens (or camera) you are asking about. In your original post you mention two lenses: a 150mm and a 210mm. Both of those will cover 4x5 with some movement. The 210 will allow more movement, since it will have a larger image circle, while the 150 will have a slightly wider field-of-view. Since both work fine on 4x5 (I have one of each, plus an 80mm really wide angle) it depends largely on how you "see" - some people gravitate towards wider lenses, some towards longer lenses.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the camera I was referring to~

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post

[url]http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/111435-4x5-monoroail-camera-everything-great-starter-200-shipped.html :

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by totowroe View Post
    This is the camera I was referring to~
    Looks like a good deal. All you'd need on top of that is a sturdy tripod and a strong back if you plan on doing any hiking trips with it.

I doubt you'd find as good a deal on ebay, so go for it. You can always add other lenses at a later date when funds permit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A Sinar F2 with lens for $750.00 could be a good deal depending on what lens comes with it, condition of everything and what extras if any come with it. I have seen real nice ones sell for around that without a lens on Ebay. Of course it has to be the F2 which is the last F series that was made.

You can buy a nice Cambo/Calumet for $200.00 and less. I have seen them go for $150.00 and even below $100.00 if you don't care about age or cosmetics.

You can buy a nice Sinar F for $300.00 if you are patient. Later F models, the P series and earlier Norma's are more money.

If you want something cheap then Cambo/Calumet can be a great way to go. Toyo's are said to be nice but I have no experience with them. If you can afford Sinar and want a monorail, I would go with that. Sinar is a great system camera.

The best advice I can give you is not to get in a hurry and do some research before you buy anything.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to keep looking for now.

As a beginner what amount of coverage and focal length should I be looking for?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll make this real simple for you.

Usually the best deals are found when you buy a camera that has a lens or two with it and maybe some extras.

Used monorails are often sold with 210mm f/5.6 lenses because they were extremely popular with the Pro's who needed large image circles for product photography where they needed plenty of camera movements.

A 210mm lens is considered a long normal lens and is perhaps the most versatile of all focal lengths on a 4x5 camera. You can use it for portraits, landscape, architecture and still lifes. They are inexpensive today due to there being a ton of them out there since the Pro's have gone digital. I have seen nice examples sell on Ebay for $150.00 to $200.00.

Any Schneider, Rodenstock, Nikkor, or Fujinon 210mm f/5.6 lens in a Copal shutter will be fine. There are subtle differences between the makes but don't worry about it. You don't know enough yet to be picky.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everybody.

I want to practice with some polaroids--if I buy the $200 setup, what kind of back or film holder will I need?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    4x5 Polaroid film has been out of production for years; at best you might be able to find some outdated film on eBay, but realistically it is a long shot. The 545 or 545i polaroid backs are available pretty cheaply, but of course that's because you can't get the film for them any more.
    Regards, Pete Lewin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin