Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,657   Online: 677

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Brand new to LF: Help w/ these cameras

HI. I love developing film, both color and B&W. After playing with medium format for a year, I'd like to get in to large format. On my local craigslist, I've found some equipment that meet my budget, could you give me some advice?

1. Linhof 45s w/ tripod and 3 lens boards, 300$ (no lens, no holders)

2. Toyo G w/ viewing hood, bellows lens shade, 2 extra lens boards, 1 4x5 Polaroid Film Holder, 18 LISCO REGAL II Film Holders, Wide Angle Bellows and Short Rail. Fujinon 150 5.6 lens. 600$

3. Sinar F2 w/ lens (waiting to hear which lens). 750$

4. Camera make unknown (waiting to hear back). Lens is 210mm F5.6. Shutter release cable, 10 film magazines, one polaroid back, film loading bag, and some Illford BW film, some Fuji E-6, and about 10 sheets of polaroid film Type 55 and 54. 500$

All sellers have confirmed bellows and rest of camera in good working condition. I'm looking for something I can use outside, to setup at the beach or in the mountains, possibly after very light/ short hikes.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    For outdoors use at beach and mountains I would recommend a folding field camera like the Tachihara or Shen Hao, or Zone VI. These are less cumbersome and more fun to use, for me than the monorail cameras.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Images
    Those are all monorail. What are you wanting to do with them?

I used both a field camera and monorail cameras in the field. The monorails were clumsy not to mention hard to pack any distance from the car.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input.

My first main priority is perspective control. Second is portability.

I don't have a huge budget for a major setup...just enough to get me started.

Images
    Everything is portable. It just depends on where you want to go with it. Field cameras will be the most portable. I have a sinar F1 and it is much more portable than my cambo. I started with a busch pressman d. Very portable built like a tank with more perspective control than a graphlex but less part availability. Don't forget to factor in suitable tripod.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That last deal is going to be pretty sweet. Type 54/55 aren't made anymore and they're kind of awesome. Also, 10 film holders is really all you need. That's 20 shots, and large format is a much *slower* process than, say, small or medium. You'll find that you take more time.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    The UNKNOWN MAKE camera of option 4 is an OMEGA VIEW 450.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to be such a noob, but I need some advice on this ASAP. Are any of these cameras worth the price, or should I hold out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with John that the prices seem a little steep for the current market for monorails, at least for the U.S.
    Depending on the specifics, the Linhof or perhaps the Omega might be the best deals.
    Last edited by bdial; 10-25-2012 at 06:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just throwing in my .02.

I bought my first LF around 6 months ago.

Paid 175.00 for a brand new looking Graphlex Graphic View in excellent condition, with a 150mm on it, and 6 film holders.

Paid 85.00 for a CLA on the lens, and 100.00 for a case to carry all of it in.
    Last edited by Pfiltz; 10-25-2012 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin