Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,002   Online: 743

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak 2D Questions

Hello all,

I bought this beautiful, old camera a little while ago and would like to know a little more about it. I've been doing a bit of searching, but obviously not in the right places as I haven't turned up much.

It was sold to me as a 4x5 camera. I found the serial number (407409) and in one of the forums have found that it was likely manufatured in the late 40's, but where I'm confused is (from Camerapedia) the Kodak 2D was never manufactured in the 4x5 format. So the first question, what do I have sitting on the table here in front of me then? The wood of the camera and the back match, so was there a 4x5 back made and what I actually have is the 5x7 version of the camera?

It is missing one of the knobs (locking knob for the rear tilt), doeas anyone know where I can get one to match?

Lastly, not really a Kodak 2D question, but I also recently bought a 90mm SA lens for it, do I need a recessed lens board for it? I just tried it on the camera today and have to crank the bellow fully closed to get it to focus on anything.

Thanks everyone,
    Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (1).JPG   photo (2).JPG   photo (3).JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Screw threads on the camera should be SAE. Are those available in Canada? In the USA I found these missing parts for my camera at the local hardware store.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 10-27-2012 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello Craig,

From the pictures it appears to be a 5 x 7 or possibly a whole Plate camera (6.5 x 8.5) with a reducing back fitted to it. The back may in fact be an original Kodak back
    but not the one that originally came on the camera. Remove the back and measure the opening to see what size camera it actually is. You may be able to find a back to fit it, and be able to work in two different formats. Good luck.

uncle jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak 2D Questions

I'm guessing it's a 5x7 with a reducing back, but it's kind of hard to tell from the photographs. I measured my Whole Plate 2D and the outside dimensions of the back is approximately 10 1/16" x 10 1/6" , and my 5x7 2D is approximately 8 3/8" x 8 3/8" . Hope this helps.

Roger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for the quick responses.

5x7 it is.

I've tried a few of the hardware stores, but no luck yet. Was kind of hoping someone had an old parts camera that might have a spare knob.

Thanks again,
    Craig

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak 2D Questions

You might contact Richard Ritter, in a thread over on LFPF he mentions that the 2Ds he an none standard thread and that he had custom taps and dies made for these threads. If you don't know Richard builds and repairs LF and ULF cameras. Here the link to the thread, see post #5. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post887150

You could also post a wtb ad here on APUG and also on LFPF for a knob or for a parts camera. Then there always ebay.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 5x7 2-D also needs to be cranked all the way back to focus some lenses at infinity. I suppose a recessed lensboard would help, but so far I haven't run into any lenses that I *couldn't* focus, so I haven't worried about it.

The lensboards for this camera are reasonably easy to make, by the way, assuming you have a way to cut the hole.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On several occasions I have seen 2D parts for sale on APUG. I bought a whole front assembly recently for my 8 x 10 version here. Keep looking.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kodak 2D Questions

Don't know if you had an chance to check out Richard Ritter's site or contact him, but here's a link to replacement knobs on his website.

http://www.lg4mat.net/backroom.html

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's awesome. Thanks for all the answers everyone.

Take care,
    Craig

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin