Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,952   Online: 919

Shooter
    Multi Format

Tech IV w/ 65mm?

Anyone know what the minimum draw is ob a linhof technika IV? I'm hoping to use my nikon 65mm on it without having to buy that expensive wide angle adapter... If I got, say, a 20mm recessed board, would that work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny, but I have the 65mm SA and it just wouldn't work with the Tech.V that I have. I mostly use a 90mm with that recessed board and even that is pretty well back for comfort. As luck would have it I found a wide angle adapter locally for reasonable money so now can use the 65 (bought a 75 as well)
    The wide angles are a bit of an Achilles heel on the Linhof's, but the WA adapter is an answer, if a little inelegant! BTW, the 65 works well on 5x4 (a little vignetting) but I mainly wanted to use it for the 6x9 roll film back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a 75mm SA in a recessed board that works on my previously owned Tech IV and my current Tech V, without using the WA adapter.

It of course has the issue of banging into the top of the box, if one tries to use a lot of front rise...

The Technika Master or newer (or a monorail) addresses that issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90 is a pain with on my IV. No way would I want a 65 on it. But then I'm too cheap to buy the fancy lens boards.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    90 is a pain with on my IV. No way would I want a 65 on it.
    Tim's comment reminded me of one of the other issues I had using my 75mm lens with the Tech IV. The rise mechanism on my IV used a knob, which on a short focal length lens is inside the "box" of the rear standard when focused anywhere near infinity. To do a rise, first I needed to rack it forward enough to access the knob, raise it up by the amount I thought I needed, focus to check the composition, then repeat as required.

My Tech V has a lever arm with a ratchet mechanism for rise, eliminating that effort of racking the lens in and out to access the rise knob. Before I got the Tech V, and still had my Tech IV, I purchased and used a Linhof Color Kardan with a Technika adapter board as an alternate solution for wide angle lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Fischer View Post
    Anyone know what the minimum draw is ob a linhof technika IV? I'm hoping to use my nikon 65mm on it without having to buy that expensive wide angle adapter... If I got, say, a 20mm recessed board, would that work?
    Not very well. Get a monorail and a bag bellows.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin