Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,721   Online: 839

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you find an Ebony within your budget, buy it. You won't regret it.

Kodak Master View 8x10. Built like a tank. Very very quick set up and break down. Easy to carry.

Becoming harder and harder to find used, and hence prices are increasing. However, not nearly as expensive as the Ebony or Canham ( another excellent choice ). Some find the single front knob that controls both shift and swing can cause an inconvenience. Geared front rise is helpful. The down side are the lens boards which are not "standard", and both somewhat hard to find and expensive. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee are the acknowledged experts on the Master View, and might have one for sale. They also have lensboards.

Suggest that you Google Kodak Master View, and read the information available.

Best of luck.

There is obviously no perfect single choice.

Elliot

Stupid music, but a good view of the Kodak 8x10 Master view as well as the movements available. All the movments you will ever need, or likely ever use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2vEr7qs--A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Kodak Master View 8x10. Built like a tank. Very very quick set up and break down. Easy to carry.

Becoming harder and harder to find used, and hence prices are increasing. However, not nearly as expensive as the Ebony or Canham ( another excellent choice ). Some find the single front knob that controls both shift and swing can cause an inconvenience. Geared front rise is helpful. The down side are the lens boards which are not "standard", and both somewhat hard to find and expensive. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee are the acknowledged experts on the Master View, and might have one for sale. They also have lensboards.

Suggest that you Google Kodak Master View, and read the information available.

Best of luck.

There is obviously no perfect single choice.

Elliot
    The bellows people on Ebay have a picture of one up right now and my eye keeps going by it and my brain thinks "OMGMASTERVIEW" and then I look at the price and realize it's just advertising for the new bellows.

I would agree with this. While you won't necessarily find one for a song, it'll be considerably cheaper than buying a brand new camera. The rest can be spent on amazing glass or some film. 8x10 is getting ridiculously expensive.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

And here is a very useful video showing the features of the Canham 8x10 metal camera. I had the 8x10 wooden camera which was quite beautiful and well made. However, I found the levers and controls to be somewhat awkward to use. No doubt other Canham owners will disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m3FL...eature=related

Another suggestion is to go to that auction site. Be patient. Wait for one of the older 8x10 Kodak or Ansco wood cameras, many of which will come with a lens. Use the camera for a while, and see what you like and dislike about the camera you are using. You might find that the first camera you buy will be inexpensive, and will serve your needs. If you really need a better camera, then examine some of the other options persented here. OTOH, you might not like shooting 8x10. In that case, you will probably be able to sell the first "inexpensive" camera and lens that you have purchased without that much difficulty, and without much of a financial loss.

Hint: At that auction site be sure to look at Vintage Cameras...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    And here is a very useful video showing the features of the Canham 8x10 metal camera. I had the 8x10 wooden camera which was quite beautiful and well made. However, I found the levers and controls to be somewhat awkward to use. No doubt other Canham owners will disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m3FL...eature=related

Another suggestion is to go to that auction site. Be patient. Wait for one of the older 8x10 Kodak or Ansco wood cameras, many of which will come with a lens. Use the camera for a while, and see what you like and dislike about the camera you are using. You might find that the first camera you buy will be inexpensive, and will serve your needs. If you really need a better camera, then examine some of the other options persented here. OTOH, you might not like shooting 8x10. In that case, you will probably be able to sell the first "inexpensive" camera and lens that you have purchased without that much difficulty, and without much of a financial loss.
    Glad you read the original poster's post.

Me? I love my V8. When you are under the hood, all the controls are in the logical correct spots (for me). About 1800 dollars a few years ago with two lens (12 inch Ektar and 190mm Ektar) in shutters, one required calibration, three backs (4x5,5x7,8x10), all the original half spacers for weird formats, and a solid case. It is a somewhat heavy beast especially when you throw the tripod (Bogen with a Gitzo 3 head) into the equation.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    First of all let me thank all of you for your assistance in obtianing my new camera. When it came down to it, I found a good deal on ebay and picked up the following:

This DEARDORFF C-1, V8 8x10 camera is a 1953 serial no. 2303 made for the Air Force in "kits" that you see here. Included in the kit is the camera W/8X10 BACK,, TRIPOD, 5-8x10 FILM HOLDERS, the 4x5 FILM BACK in pristine condition as well as 5-4x5 film holders. I have added a KODAK EKTAR 250MM (10 INCH) f 6.3 WIDE FIELD LENS MOUNTED IN AN ILEX NO. 5 SHUTTER AND SET IN A LENSBOARD. THE CASE IT COMES IN IS HEAVY FIBERBOARD WITH A HORSEHAIR AND GLUE FORMED PROTECTION MATERIAL. ALSO I WILL INCLUDE THE DARK CLOTH BY FUJI THAT IS WEIGHTED AS WELL AS THE CHANGING BAG AND SOME B&W FILM. ALL IS IN FINE TO EXCELLENT WORKING ORDER!! The CROWN NO.4 tripod in the kit is wood and brass and in like new condition. It is a little lightweight for my comfort so I use a MAJESTIC 3000 WITH A 1400 GEARED HEAD AND CRANK. THAT IS INCLUDED IF YOU WANT TO PAY THE SHIPPING EXTRA for the Majestic Tripod. IT IS VERY HEAVY AND THE CAMERA AND CASE ITSELF IS 60 LBS. THE ALL ORIGINAL CAMERA AND KIT HAVE BEEN KEPT TOGETHER SINCE I GOT IN 1980. I HAVE TAKEN GOOD CARE OF IT AND HAVE USED IT IN THE STUDIO AND OUT. I WAS TOLD BY A MILITARY CAMERA COLLECTOR THAT THEY MADE 300 OF THESE KITS. In my 40 years of view camera photographer, I have never seen a kit like this altogether. ONE OF MY FRIENDS SAW THE LISTING AND SAID I SHOULD MENTION THAT JACK DEARDORFF SIGNED MY CAMERA AT A WORKSHOP I WAS ATTENDING IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES SAW I ADDED A PHOTO OF THE SIGNATURE. HE WAS VERY NICE ABOUT IT AND I DID NOT THINK IT WOULD BE NOTABLE, BUT I AM TOLD I SHOULD LET PEOPLE KNOW. I ALSO HAVE AN EXTRA GROUND GLASS IN 8X10 AND DO NOT FORGET THE MAJESTIC TRIPOD 3000 W/ 1400 HEAD WITH CRANK (VERY SMOOTH) OPERATION.

Thanks again.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Well done! Best of luck in your future photographic pursuits.

Elliot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You WILL love it!

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin