Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,980   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Which 8x10 to buy

I have gotten much good information from all of you. Im in the position to upgrade from my Eastman 2D (great starter) to a new 8x10 field camera. I already have lens and film holders, and looking to spend no more then about 5k. Im open to any material. I will be doing some portrait work, but mostly work in the field during travel, so would prefer something sturdy. Size and weight is not much of an issue since I have a 5th wheel with a darkroom set up to carry it. My eye is drawn towards the Deardorff, and Ebony, but im open for suggestion. Please don't bash me, but I prefer that my camera is not made in some communist country such as China. I like the Chamonix, but its out. Something with the option for film and glass plate would be great since I shoot a lot of calotype images. It’s great to have that glass holding the paper down. I would love any of your thoughts.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    What do you think a $5k camera will do that you 2-D can't?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those people in Communist China are working hard to throw off their chains. I think it is the duty of every capitalist to encourage them to see the way to economic freedom by buying from them. Only then will China sink into the same abyss everybody else is in. But if you have no scruples just buy the most expensive camera, it has to be better doesn't it?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Those people in Communist China are working hard to throw off their chains. I think it is the duty of every capitalist to encourage them to see the way to economic freedom by buying from them. Only then will China sink into the same abyss everybody else is in. But if you have no scruples just buy the most expensive camera, it has to be better doesn't it?
    Thank you for the political commentary that I did not ask for. Feel free to buy from them. I have my reasons for not. Do you have anything to add about cameras like I asked for?
    Rick Lanning

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    What do you think a $5k camera will do that you 2-D can't?
    My 2D has seen better days, and has little movement. Im looking for a bit more control. My budget is 5k, not that im looking to spend that much just for the sake of spending it. Im ready to learn more of what the 8x10 field camera has to offer. Im open for any suggestions that I may look into.
    Rick Lanning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find a very nice used 8x10 Deardorff for under 2K or a new one for $3750.
    8x10 KB Canham Traditional is another fine choice for $3750 new or around $2500 used.

Ebony 8x10 cameras are overpriced in my mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sinar comes to mind - I'll let the experts suggest particulars.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll put in another vote for a Canham. I have Canham 5x7/5x12 and 14x17 bodies if you'd like to handle one (or several) to get a feel for the idiosyncrasies of the brand, and I live in DC. Plus, Canham is American made, and he offers superlative customer support. I bought my 5x7 used. Part of the back developed a flaw in the wood - Keith drop-shipped me a replacement back at no charge, and just asked that I return the old one to him at my convenience. You can't ask for better than that - warranty service on a second-(third, fourth, fifth?)hand camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In the next year or so, I'm going to take a long, hard look at what I want to be doing with photography and juggle equipment accordingly. I'm sticking to 6x6cm and large format. 5x7 is my favorite, but the issue is that it seems to be less popular than the 4x5. It's also harder to find an enlarger to work with it, and the contact prints are still pretty small. I'm thinking of going 8x10 with a 4x5 reducing back: I'll shoot 4x5 and enlarge in the leaner times and 8x10 when I want a really awesome contact print. I actually wanted your camera, a 2D. Heh. Weird, huh?

If I was going to buy new and had virtually limitless funds, I'd likely get a Canham Traditional. I like the look better than the all-metal cameras. With my budget, though, I'll likely end up with the 2D I wanted in the first place.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagepics View Post
    Thank you for the political commentary that I did not ask for.
    To be fair, we also didn't ask for yours when you asked for our help.

Anyway, have you considered one of Richard Ritter's cameras (http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html)?

Im [sic] open for any suggestions that I may look into.
    I'm considering the Shen Hao HZX810 for both its bellows draw (800mm), as well as accepting Sinar bellows. This is important as it allows me to use my Sinar Auto Shutter on it, making barrel lenses easy and accurate to use.

I already have lens...
    Do you mean lenses (i.e. plural)? If not, I'd be spending money on second (and possibly third) lenses. If so, have you really got the best lenses that you can buy? The box is so much less important than the glass IMO. $5k gets some absolute cracker lenses, especially in the used market!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin