Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,495   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Linhof III (or often known online as the inferior sibling to the Linhof IV)

I have been trudging my monorail around and wanted something that would fit in a large backpack. I believe this is a Linhof III. I liked that the camera has a recently replaced set of bellows. Good purchase? Foolish purchase?

First off I'm thinking of removing the rangefinder. I wasn't planning on using that anyway. Anyone have experience doing that?

Second I was thinking of stripping the leather and applying a new set from cameraleather.com. Any tips?

Last, any tips on cleaning the camera metal up in general? Obviously I was thinking of having a bit of fun with this. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Techn...vip=true&rt=nc
    Last edited by Takizawa; 10-31-2012 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two of them, rangefinderless, and picked up the second one (for $200), because I couldn't bear to think of not having at least one. All original, only thing I had to do other than a thorough clean and lube was a slight modification to the back to accept Grafmatic holders. Love 'em.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Make sure that you understand their (somewhat) limited movements and the need for (somewhat) hard-to-find lens boards.

Beautifully made cameras, though!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I need greater movements I can always turn back to my monorail. Lens boards, I did think about that limitation. I only plan to use one lens with this so the one lens board is fine. I still have to figure out my options for a lens that is small enough to keep in the camera when folded.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had a Tech III until I upgraded to a V. The upgrade was mostly prompted by the additional front movements, which honestly can be accomplished in other ways. I mostly wanted a newer camera that would be reliable for a long time into the future. If an affordable opportunity had not presented itself when it did, I would still be happily using the III.

I disassembled the rangefinder on mine to eliminate parts that were making closing the door more difficult. I left the housing on the side since I did not want to replace the leather. Someone...Jim Galli maybe...showed off a Technika that he had removed the leather from, and just left with the polished, bare metal. With a new red bellows it looked really great, like a Paul Teutul chopper! Might still be some pictures on the LF forum.

Regarding lens boards, I made a couple out of aluminum plate that I bought at a home improvement store. You will probably have to stick with a Linhof lens/shutter made to stay on the camera while folded if that is what you want.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good to know about needing the Linhof lens/shutter to stay on the camera while folded. If anyone knows where that picture is of the bare metal Linhof I'd love to take a look. I have heard that although the Linhof III is hard to find it is not necessarily hard to reproduce given its shape. I hadn't thought about aluminum plate for that. How did you go about cutting the aluminum to size?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone know how to detach the rangefinder from a Linhof iii? Upon inspection it's really in poor shape and I won't use it anyway. I already unscrewed all screws from the top but the rangefinder is still locked tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use hobby shop aluminum sheets and cut them with a radial arm saw. For the hole, I use a drill press with an expandable bit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I had a Tech 111 about twenty five years ago, before getting my Mk V.

I made a couple of lensboards from aluminium sheet, but there is a slight recess on the back to register with the felt ring on the front standard. I machined this in on a friends lathe.

The camera folded up okay with a 150mm Apo Lanthar fitted, so should be okay with a symmar too.

The only 'not very nice' bit of the design are the notches in the track for locating the front at infinity compared with the later fold-up catches.

If you are going to use the back movements a lot, and don't mind defacing the camera, file the lugs off the catches which lock the back in position, and rely on the 'stalk' clamps - if that makes sence!

The lack of front tilt is easy to overcome- either turn the camera on it's side: or use back tilt, then tilt the whole camera down and add a bit of front rise.

Susie

Shooter
    Large Format
    For some reason in all the threads about Technika III's on the Internet, people fail to realize that both Bromwell Marketing and SK Grimes manufacture replacement boards for the III.

They are of course generic in appearance, but they are available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin