Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,747   Online: 963

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

From "rail" to "field".........

I'm looking to switch from my Horseman monorail to a field camera. I have only two lenses, a Rodenstock 210 and a Nikon 120SW, the Nikon has a very large rear element (total diameter is 3 1/8 inches)....is there a concern with the Nikon lens as to what field camera will be able to accomodate it? Guess I'm trying to get an idea of what field cameras not to even consider to kinda speed the search up.

thanks
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Toyo 45A opening measures 3.5"
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It'll fit a Toyo (110mm) board+camera (45A*) no problems. Linhof are I think 99mm square but you lose probably 20mm to the front standard that supports the lensboard, so it might not fit on a Linhof-compatible camera.

More important than the lensboard size is the opening in the front standard. That differs from camera-model to camera-model though they might share a common lensboard size.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    More important than the lensboard size is the opening in the front standard.
    This is more what I am referring to................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Nikkor 120SW on a Technika board and this is the largest lens I have that fits through the hole in the lens board of my Wista 810. Since the hole in the lens board is the same on smaller cameras I it shouldn't be a problem. I am more concerned about the weight of the lens and thsi is the reason I don't use it on any of my 4x5 field cameras (and I cannot really use the large image circle on a field camera).
    You should be alright with any camera using Technika boards (just).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Toyo 45A opening measures 3.5"
    Thanks, I have been looking at the 45A, that seems to be one of the most available on ebay, I also like the 45AX, but have not seen one yet.
    Last edited by CPorter; 11-01-2012 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The front standard of a Linhof Technika can accommodate a rear cell with a diameter of 82mm. Larger is possible, but you have to mount the lensboard without the rear cell, remove the back of the camera (it slides off easily), and screw it in from behind, which I wouldn't want to do as a matter of course.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    .................. but you have to mount the lensboard without the rear cell, remove the back of the camera (it slides off easily), and screw it in from behind, which I wouldn't want to do as a matter of course.
    Thanks.........me neither.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin