Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,498   Online: 1124

arcimboldo

Looking for large format negative

hi,
    i was looking for a large format negative in order to get a feeling for the quality and richness of details and tones. if somebody has one sheet left i would be happy about it.
    kind regards, a.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Large Format Negatives:

1. Film is expensive and sometimes hard to get locally.
    2. The equipment is heavy.
    3. You are expected to be old and have a beard, or if of the other gender... (no, I am not going there)
    4. Need to learn a whole bunch of new things.

That should be a good start, and I am sure others can add to the negatives...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arcimboldo View Post
    hi,
    i was looking for a large format negative in order to get a feeling for the quality and richness of details and tones. if somebody has one sheet left i would be happy about it.
    kind regards, a.
    You won't get any feeling for 'the quality and richness of details and tones' from a negative, what you want is a print; a print made from a good negative by an experienced printer. Producing such a print takes time, resources, and effort.

Oh yes, here's a negative - LF photographers are a contentious bunch.

Edit - Your posts will be taken more seriously if you bother to capitalise what should be capitalised.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 11-02-2012 at 09:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As has been said you need to see prints from LF negatives, it's the degree of enlargement taht's critical. Remember that a 10x8 print from a 5x4 negative is roughly eqivalent to enlarging a 35mm neg to half post card size.

In practice an LF negative just looks like a 35mm neg or 120 negative of the same type except it has a larger area.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you are looking for a printable negative that you can print yourself to see if the quality is worth the effort and expense, I have a quite a lot of rejects that I would be happy to send you to play with. I can find something that is proper density and in focus but rejected due to boring composition or something. 8x10 or 4x5. Let me know.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    On a more serious note...

If you want to seriously evaluate if it is worth the effort, then you should experience it end to end.

The process will greatly slow you down, even relative to medium format. And that can change the way you look at things.

Due to the speed and cost per exposure, you are likely to shoot much less, but your standards of what are acceptable and what are not are likely to change i.e. see post 5 above with Dennis's offer.

Even if you determine the print quality is what you want, you should experience the effort involved to ensure you are prepared to pay the price.

A couple options are:
    1. To find a local college or LF workshop to learn and experience it without the expense of buying the equipment.
    2. Provide some indication of where you are located and see if someone nearby would be willing to take you out with them. Many LF photographers would consider that, after all the equipment is heavy (see item 2 in post 2).

Something else to consider...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP may not have a 4x5 enlarger. However, you can contact print an 8x10 (or 4x5 or 5x7 or...) negative with a sheet of glass - this will also give the ultimate in tonality.

arcimboldo
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    If you are looking for a printable negative that you can print yourself to see if the quality is worth the effort and expense, I have a quite a lot of rejects that I would be happy to send you to play with. I can find something that is proper density and in focus but rejected due to boring composition or something. 8x10 or 4x5. Let me know.
    Dennis
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    My Durst M805 works up to 6x9, i was interested in making a contact sheet and a scan from the negative.
    @Dennis. That would be very nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you look at an Ansel Adams print, it will provide you with a great representation of the tonality that can be achieved with a large format negative!

Quote Originally Posted by ian grant
    In practice an LF negative just looks like a 35mm neg or 120 negative of the same type except it has a larger area.
    ...but given the fact that 4x as many film grains portray the same subject area on 4x5 sheet film as 135 format neg, the gradations of tonality will be far superior from the large format iimage!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arcimboldo View Post
    Thank you very much for your answers.
    My Durst M805 works up to 6x9, i was interested in making a contact sheet and a scan from the negative.
    @Dennis. That would be very nice.
    Just PM me an address to send them to and I will do it.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin