Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 923

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that EK uses lettering. I'll check later. I know I have seen it somewhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is definitely no edge lettering on 4x5 FP4.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I believe most LF transparency film uses edge lettering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen older shutters with the m-x switch permanently locked in the x sync with epoxy or a small screw from a repairman. I have also used gaffers tape on a few of my older shutters but I always remove it after the shoot because some types of tape leave a sticky residue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The OP was asking about individually loaded 4x5 sheets of film.

Over the decades I've never seen film sheets in any format that incorporated edge lettering of any kind. Only the (very useful) notch patterns. But then, I've only ever used Kodak (4x5) and Ilford (4x5, 8x10) in individual cut sheets. Don't know first hand about any of the other manufacturers or packaging types.

Do some add lettering?

Ken
    TMax 100 has lettering. I've used Tri-X, but it's old (exp '96) so I'm not sure if recent stock has lettering, but the old does not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just checked a bunch of recent vintage Ilford FP4+ and HP5+ sheets in both 4x5 and 8x10. No lettering on any of them. I also found some much older (80s) 4x5 Tri-X 320 negatives. Also blank.

But I've never used any of the TMax/Delta varieties, in sheets or rolls. So the problem here could be mine due to overly narrow sampling. I've also never used transparency films in cut sheets, so 'rorye' could be correct as well.

Maybe I just need to get out more??

I do plan on trying Ilford's 120 Delta 3200 as 6x7, now that we've started our annual 10-month trip through the bad weather tunnel here in the Pacific Northwest.

July is just around the corner...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked literally hundreds of B&W and color. The color was a mix of transparencies and negatives and all were 4x5 taken over nearly 50 years.

All I found was Kodak film! Fancy that!

Anyhow, all color had an edgemarking of some sort. B&W was mixed, for example Super XX from 1960 or thereabouts all had edgemarking, bu samples from about 1978 or later did not. The marking included Kodak Safety Film and a product code.. Some had K*ODAK on the edge indicating some change in the property.

So, I would have to say that edgmarking varies quite a bit. I had some Agfa, Sakura and Fuji here but I was too lazy to keep looking.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Fuji letters their Acros B&W film. Since I print the rebate, I hate that! (But I can always scrap it off, I suppose).

Ediited to add - they lettered their 8x10 that I used...I have not used it in other sizes.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ron. I just learned something new, then.

So it appears I need to modify my earlier answer to the OP to say that only some, but not all, sheet films have edge lettering on them. Therefore the absence of lettering does not necessarily indicate any failure in processing, or problems with the film itself. Unless, of course, you know for certain it should be lettered.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken, you are correct. I was basing my comment on what my memory told me, but when I looked into it, the problem became much more vague. I guess a question to Simon Galley would be appropriate. Anyone game?

PE

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin