Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 685

Shooter
    35mm

Large Format newbie questions

I went to the monthly antique/flea fair here in my home town and bought a Speed Graphic 4X5 in a normal condition with some signs of wear, but apperantly in working order and with the lens with no fungus, scratches, etc. Even if the camera is not working fine, I can go to the fair next month and throw it at the seller .

First question is about the plain film holders, can I use it any one (from any brand) or I have to use only the ones from graflex?

Are the bellows real leather? If so can I use the same products for caring leather? What I have to look also to see if the camera is in order, besides the normal things?
    Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it takes modern International fit 5x4 film holders. The bellows aren't leather they are a rubber matrial so can be cleaned with a damp cloth.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out:
    http://www.graflex.org
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/graflex.htm look down the list for Speed Graphics
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to ward off Murphy's Law, it should be mentioned that some Speeds were equipped with a Graflex back which would require the slotted holders.

Enjoy the camera! (And don't worry, I'm sure it will take the standard holders.)

J

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Yes it takes modern International fit 5x4 film holders. The bellows aren't leather they are a rubber matrial so can be cleaned with a damp cloth. Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you! Well, will buy a modern international holder and see, !

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Before you buy anything, just look at the back of your camera. Pull the groundglass back a little bit and on the side where you would slide in a holder, on the face toward the lens, there will either be a slot or a ridge. The slot is for a ridge on corresponding international holders. These are the common ones. The ridge would require the slotted graflex-specific holders. It will probably have the slot and take normal, common holders.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it has a slot, can not see any ridge in that location!

PS: My speed graphic is all black with no labels in the shutter selector, can this be usefull for info on the year of the camera?
    Last edited by Rhodes; 11-14-2012 at 04:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin