Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,450   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard Paine's book noted by Sirius Glass claims the 5x7 Speed Graphic was produced as early as 1912, discontinued by 1926, and reintroduced with slight modifications from about 1932 to 1941. The 4th edition (1942) and 7th edition (1944) of Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan & Lester mentions it as available with either Graphic or Graflex back, and using 4" square lensboards. The 8th edition of 1947 mentions it in past tense.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looking at Paine's book, the main difference between the two models is the earlier version has the handle on top of the body, and the later one uses a side handle much like the Anniversary Speed. Also, the early camera has a 3 3/4" square lens board, rather than the 4" square board of the later model. Not much difference as far as mounting lenses, but a real inconvenience as far as switching lenses with a 4X5 Anny. I have a "Top Handle" 5X7, pretty much like the one Enno shows on page 2 of his Flickr pages. I recall it being the oldest Graphic I have, but can't really remember the approximate year it was made. 1920s I think. While searching for information on 5X7 Speeds this morning I found a couple of interesting pictures: http://www.shorpy.com/node/13932 and http://www.flickr.com/photos/9797476...7606266836904/

Len

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mine is the later, side handle version. Luckily I have about 4 adapter plates that allow you to mount the 4x5 SG lens boards to the 5x7. I haven't used them yet, since none of my 4x5 glass covers 5x7 very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Len, if you post y'r 5x7's serial number I can look it up. Understand, though, that the date Graflex assigned a serial number may be long before the actual date the s/n was used.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    !
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dan - I dug the old beauty out and checked the serial number. It sure looks to be 160,5xx. From the serial number list I have, that should be about 1928. According to my copy of Paine, the Top Handle 5X7 was discontinued in 1924. He specifically states that "By 1926 only the 4X5 'Special' was available; other sizes had been discontinued."Paine is not so specific as to when the later model was introduced. On the page for the side-handle 5X7, he shows the year range as "c.1932-1941". But mine is very much a Top Handle with the smaller lens board. I'll be interested in what your number list shows for a year.

In my previous post I mentioned a picture of a 5X7 Speed on Enno's Flickr pages. I should have said werra, his ID on this forum, although he is Enno on Flickr. Either way, I love his work.

Len

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin