Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,380   Online: 1095

Shooter
    4x5 Format

30 HOLE LENS BOARD - What's the meaning?

Hi,

I need a lens board for a lens, Keh lists boards like this, "CALUMET 4X5 (4X4) 30 HOLE LENS BOARD." What does this mean, is it mm? Is it equivalent to a copal size. My lens is a copal 1, that I know.

Advanced thank you

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes, a 30mm hole. Although Copal 0, 1 and 3 are standard sized shutters the hole required can vary slightly depending on the particular flange or retainer used. Most retainers have a lip that is meant to sit in the hole in the lensboard, so the hole should be cut to fit the lip, not the thread on the shutter. That doesn't always happen so you get a variance in sizes and I guess KEH learned long ago that it is better to list the exact size of the hole rather than Copal 0 or 1 etc.

The hole for a Copal 0 is nominally 34mm and Copal 1 42mm so a 30mm hole is undersize for most modern shutters. It is possibly an Alphax 0.
    Last edited by paul ewins; 11-11-2012 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added hole sizes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you, that helped a lot paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Alpex and Rapex #1 shutter had about 30mm shutter mounting threads. So did the #0 Compur and Ilex #0 Universal, Acme, and General. As Paul noted, some retaining rings were intended for larger holes. They still work with thread diameter holes. The old standard 4" square Lens boards are fairly easy to build up from 1/8" plywood, or mill down from 1/4 plywood. For temporary use, they can be improvised from mat board, foam core, or whatever else is available.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin