Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 861

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bellows patch...

Thanks to jnanian, I was able to patch the pinholes on my Anniversary model Speed Graphic. There weren't any gaping holes, but on the folds, cracks, and corners, the outer covering has pulled away from the fabric. When using a flashlight it was like shining a light through a cheesecloth nearly.

I used Sobo brand PVA glue, and mixed it with black India ink. Sobo glue dries flexible so I'm hoping this will give me at least a few months of use in order to save up for a full camera refurb.

Its ugly, but it worked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352858153.445698.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	59712

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352858200.898228.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	59713

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352858235.432511.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	59714

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good timing... my Ikonta sprung another corner leak. I had used GE silicon and India ink, but it took about two weeks to dry... It dried flexible and held, but a new corner gave way.

I suspected it was happening so was guarding it from light wherever possible... Yet I got a little flare. I really must learn hold up to the light before loading each roll... at least with a 4x5 you can check with every shot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can also use liquid electrical tape. Just be careful because it is a bit stringy applying it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "liquid electrical tape": never seen, never heard of.
    (Though I can imagine what it is...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used an invisible mending cloth on badly damaged Graflex bellows. This cloth is designed to repair suits etc and goes inside despite its name it comes in a variety of colours, the black version was light tight, and is very thin with a strong self adhesive on the one side. I used it inside and outside and it had no impact on the way the bellows fold and compress and it's very difficult to see where the repairs have been made.

The type I used is no longer made, the company in Holland ceased trading but there are others on the market.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    "liquid electrical tape": never seen, never heard of.
    (Though I can imagine what it is...)
    Star Brite Liquid Electrical Tape. It seals and Protects Electrical Connections. You can buy it off Amazon.

I had never heard of it either but had read that it was great for sealing bellows. I have used it on one camera and it solved the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Works for me:
    The following concoction has been found to be long lasting fix for fabric-plastic bellows in good looking condition but with corner pinholes.

1 teaspoon Elmer's glue
    2 small drops liquid dish detergent
    2 small drops black lampblack or shoe dye

(http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/bellows.html)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin