Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,096   Online: 720

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've got negatives!!!

I was going through a small box of stuff that came with my camera, and I found a box if these. It was a box of 20, and there were 16 left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353016995.472355.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	59766

So I sacrificed one to see what it was. I actually thought it was ancient instant peel apart film. I soon realized that it was actual film in a convenience pack. The expiration on the box was 2001.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017110.485674.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	59767

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017122.132404.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	59768

Then I realized that I could take it apart quite easily. So I took two apart and put them in the 4x5 fidelity elite holders that arrived this afternoon.

What else is there to photograph in the back yard but the dog, so that's what I did. I put the SG on the tripod and begged and pleaded for the dog to hold still. He obliged. And then I shot a flower vine that is growing on our fence! Developed them in XTOL, and this is what I got!

My very first two 4x5 photos taken with a 70+ year old camera!! And my first two 4x5 photos ever!!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353017354.839944.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	59769

I'll scan them later on, but I'll have to piece them together because I only have a V500. Tomorrow I'll try contact prints.

They look a little thin, but I don't know if that's underexposure, age of the film, or problems with the camera - but I'm certainly excited to continue experimenting!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! Nice feeling isn't it?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about being more positive next time!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    How about being more positive next time!

Sorry! LOL I get a bit carried away, but I'm so flipping excited about this newly found inspiration!! I can't wait to do more...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's great.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Images
    Both of those are printable. Believe me I have exposed and printed far worse exposures.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Both of those are printable. Believe me I have exposed and printed far worse exposures.
    I was going to point this out too--- for a first effort with LF and unknown film--- very nice. Also nice to see someone with some serious enthusiasm...LOL Have fun there.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To me, T-Max 100 always looks thin when shot at 100. I expose it at ASA 50 for better density. And those are readyloads, you can shoot them without holders in a Polaroid 545 if you have one.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well here is a quickly scanned, and pieced together negative. I'm thinking its at least 2 stops under exposed, but I still can't wait to go into the dark room tomorrow morning and try to contact print it. Most of the dust is from the very dirty scanner bed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The dog isn't underexposed at all, note that there are no clear portions on the negative where detail has been lost. You don't want any more exposure than that or the highlights will get flatter as they shoulder-off.

The vines likewise look like they probably have enough exposure but they could possibly use a bit more development (I guess it was flat light); another half-stop might get some of the shadows off the toe a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin