Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,266   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-Ray film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

X-Ray film.

Just got a box of Fuji Green in the mail and excited to try it. A few questions though;

I read it's ISO 200 outdoors in rodinal 1:200 for 6.5 minutes. What about indoors? ISO 25?

And it doesn't develop in tubes or drums well? That's fine, because i have 3 dip and dunk SS tanks, and some trays...

But with only 3 tanks... Dev, Fix, Water wash? How long do I need to water wash to make the negatives remain archival without permawash? Or should I take them out of the hangars at that point?

Also, how long will the fix last in the dip and dunk tanks? And If I got a tank for the Permawash? If I rubber band a plastic bag around the top as a lid? These tanks take a lot of chemistry, so I don't want to waste any...

With regards to a lid on the Dev tank so I can leave the darkroom... I can use a black paper bag and rubber band it around the dev tank? I'm assuming it will fit... I can get an 11x14 bag.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a box of 8x10 a couple of months ago and I love the stuff. I've just started experimenting with it as ASA 200 and I process it in Ilford paper developer under a safelight and develop through inspection. Here's what I shot. I wash it with a tray siphon. The emulsion is very soft so handle with care.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	59772
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Theres quite a bit on shooting x-ray film on LFPF,
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because it's cheap!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    so basically, process it like a print? How long do you develop it for in paper developer?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i can't speak for your particular film but i have used x-ray duplicating film (a reversal film) to enlarge negatives for pt/pd printing. That film is very slow. I use Kodak GBX (dental x-ray chemistry - dev - water stop - fix - wash - dry) and wash for 45min in a chambered print washer. I haven't used PermaWash and have not had problems. That film requires a red safelight. I'm sure there are various combinations that work. Find the one that works for you and stick with it. I would leave it in the hangers to avoid handling until dry and then preferably with cotton gloves unless you have a border that you don't mind having fingerprints on.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    so basically, process it like a print? How long do you develop it for in paper developer?
    With paper developer, it works faster than film developer.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One point I'd like to make is that film is blind to red colors. Anything that has orange or red might show up dark or black. I'm guess guessing on what might happen.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The orthochromatic nature of these films needs to be taken into consideration for sure. I shot wedding photos for a friend using some blue-sensitive 8x10 aerial film. The bride's bouquet was mostly bright yellow daffodils (as seen the first photo), but the aerial film rendered them almost black.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since the film is blue sensitive, and yellow is opposite of blue, the flowers ended up black. I'd imaging for my Fuji HRT X-ray film is green sensitive, anything I shoot that is magenta will be black. I guess that's why we pay big bucks for orthochromatic film.
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin