Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,813   Online: 854

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my Grafmatics to death because, unless you are REALLY stupid and cycle through all six slides, you really can't screw up with unintended double exposures. And being able to prepare 6 sheets in one package instead of 2 is awesome. I always take 3-4 of them on my trips.

The bends can be straightened relatively easily; what I do is take a pair of pliers and slowly & gently straighten out the tips; then, if the pliers have pushed down on the slits so that you now have a tight entrance for your film, just take a screwdriver or an exacto knife and spread it out a little. I think it's better to keep them as straight as possible, since having the bends may cause more problems (getting stuck, bending more septum's, etc.).

As for cleaning, they're just metal; I'd wash them with dish soap in hot water :LOL:

One thing to remember: unlike normal holders, once you "set" the film for exposure (take the slide out and put it back in), you can't "unset" it… you have to take the shot, or move onto the next frame. This can be a HUGE problem when you're working (like me) with a barrel lens on a Speed Graphic, because once you set the film for exposing, you can't (easily) change the shutter speed any more, because that involves letting light into the camera, and there's no way to shield that from the film as you could with a normal holder.

The only way to work around this without wasting a frame is to cycle through all the film and come back to the frame number you were at. So beware; "set" the film for exposure when you are absolutely sure you're going to fire that shutter :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    One thing to remember: unlike normal holders, once you "set" the film for exposure (take the slide out and put it back in), you can't "unset" it… you have to take the shot, or move onto the next frame. This can be a HUGE problem when you're working (like me) with a barrel lens on a Speed Graphic, because once you set the film for exposing, you can't (easily) change the shutter speed any more, because that involves letting light into the camera, and there's no way to shield that from the film as you could with a normal holder.
    Bin thar dun dat!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As long as this thread has some legs. Here are the problems I have run into over the years.

Light leaks are pretty uncommon with Grafmatics. One thing to watch out for is the felt pad at the end of the chamber can come loose. I had one that folded over. When I figured out the problem it was a quick fix but there was some head scratching before then. The light leak will show up in the shape of the cutout of the septi.

The septi can bend so look at them before you load film You want them to be as straight as possible. I use my fingers if there is a problem. I wouldn't use pliers as mentioned above. You don't want to mark them and cause scratches/wear on the mechanisms.

Make sure the film fits snugly in the septum. I have had film come loose before and it jams the mechanism. I adjust them so that the film is just difficult to load. Also, check that the film goes under the end of the septum. If you have strong hands this can all be done with your hands and not tools. There are two kinds of septi that I have encountered. One has the folded over edge go the full length of the holder and the other has a kind of friction pressing and the far end. Neither is better than the other in my experience. They both should be adjusted appropriately.

Don't forget to push the dark slide back in. The septum rests against the darkslide to position it properly for the exposure. I had a friend for whom I had built a Polaroid conversion complain to me about unsharp images with the Grafmatic. It turned out he was leaving the darkslide open since that is what he was used to doing to avoid light leaks while shooting with regular holders.

Every so often I lube the channels in my Grafmatics with wax. It keeps them running smoothly. The first time I did it made a big difference. You could probably use other lubes as well. Obviously you would want something that is dry.

If you ever get to a point when you are out shooting and the Grafmatic jams or the darkslide is met with a lot of resistance, tilt the camera back and try to jiggle it a little to let gravity do its work. Never force anything with a Grafmatic. I have only had one jam in the years I have been using them and it turned out to be a loose sheet of film as I mentioned above.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would take at least a few regular holders as backups if you take the grafmatics. The grafmatics are nicer to walk around with. On the other hand, if a grafmatic fails, it's 6 sheets possibly damaged or 6 sheets worth of space out of commission rather than just one or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is great feedback! Thank you guys very much. Now I'm a lot more confident. I will take both and use some regular holders as a backup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    This is great feedback! Thank you guys very much. Now I'm a lot more confident. I will take both and use some regular holders as a backup.
    Anikin, I bought one G-matic in the late 80s to use while hiking, or when I need to reload fast. I lucked out and got a good one in as-new shape for $25.
    I've never had a single problem with it, ever. They're that good, if in good condition. They also have exemplary film flatness and registration if the septa are good.
    Just make certain yours are in good condition and you are familiar with their use/operation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear anikin,

If you're still watching this, my best advice is to hold the camera in the normal shooting position when advancing to the next sheet. When pointed down, the odds of jamming seem to go way up. Otherwise, I have few if any problems with my 6 Graphmatics.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Neal,

What do you mean by pointed down? Do you mean that the holder would be flat horizontally?

Eugene.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Neal,

What do you mean by pointed down? Do you mean that the holder would be flat horizontally?

Eugene.
    If the septa are flat and straight, and the springs good, it will work in any position.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Neal,

Eugene.
    Yes. Exactly.

Neal Wydra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin