Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,740   Online: 907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Grafmatic or regular holders for an upcoming trip?

We are going to Hawaii next week and I've been thinking of taking my Meridian 45B point-n-shooter on this trip. Up to now, I've been always using regular 2-sheet holders with this camera. However last week I bought three grafmatic holders and I've been contemplating to take these instead of the regular holders to save the weight/volume. I have not used this type of holders before and I don't know how well these particular holders work. I'm a little worried about using new to me equipment for what might be valuable photos. So I'm looking for advice: should I or should I not take these instead of the regular holders? What are the gotchas with this kind of holders? Anything I should check and or do with them before the trip?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Graphmatic is new to you and untested, I woudn't consider using it for anything real... yet.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree with Brian. If you haven't tested them go with what you know and with which you are comfortable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm with Brian--stick to the regular holders for a big trip. I wouldn't shoot anything important until you've tested the holders and using them becomes second nature. On my first outing with a Grafmatic, I left the dark slide pulled out when I exposed the film. It seems obvious to leave the dark slide out when you expose, right? Well, not such a good idea with Grafmatics, since you'll fog the sheets behind the one being exposed because of the septum notches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with both above posters. If you don't know how to use one it's a nightmare, and you might wind up damaging it.

Stay with what you are familiar with and works for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like consensus . Is there anything to watch out with Grafmatics? Do the break/jam easily? Scratch film? Light leaks, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    Sounds like consensus . Is there anything to watch out with Grafmatics? Do the break/jam easily? Scratch film? Light leaks, etc...
    If in good condition, they work perfectly; they're tough, reliable, don't leak light or damage film. Watch out for bent septa. They were made for news and sports photographers. It helps to read the directions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The corners of the septums can bend easily, being light metal.

That's another reason not to mess with them until you can test and get confident with them.

Read the instructions, and practice loading them with the lights on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Practice and use the Grafmatics before you take them on a trip. You want to be able to enjoy the trip, not fight your equipment. I thought that I knew how to use them, but the first times I used them, I found that I did not really understand them completely.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ran 6 sheets of Arista EDU this week-end. The exposures looked fine and the holder seemed to be reasonably easy to use. I did notice a few faint scratches on the back of one of sheets. I guess some cleaning of the septums is in order. Is PEC pads and some isopropyl alcohol OK?

Also, some septums have a little bend at the end where it gets inserted into the holder. Is it wise to try to straighten them out, or is it better to leave them as is?

I always shoot two sheets of film - one color and one B/W. I think for the trip, I'll use grafmatic for b/w and regular for color (or wise-verse). This way, if I screw up, I won't lose much...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin