Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,658   Posts: 1,623,825   Online: 1122

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help identifying lens

I have a lens in front of me that has me a little baffled. It is a "Wide Angle Portable Symmetrical" lens, with wheel stops that are not clearly labeled. A cursory search through all the usual sources shows that name to be most commonly associated with Ross, London. There is, however, no makers name on the lens. What is there is an inscribed letter "G" inside a diamond. I know I have seen this trademark before, but can't place it. Any help?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could well be a Ross lens, they redesigned their WA Symmetrical towards the end of the 1890's so it would be 1897 or earlier, the G may well be the Agents//Company who sold the lens. I have seen a Ross Wide Angle Portable Symmetrical without the Ross name on it.

Rodd had links with Goerz and Ross making their lenses in the UK and for export to the British Empire.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And just as I was about to despair of receiving any information, I get a boat-load! Thank you, Mustafa and Ian. I have seen this symbol before, and I will keep looking through the collections of lenses I am most familiar with to find the other piece with this mark on it. Maybe that will settle it in my mind. I believe you may be right, Ian, in that it is a seller's rather than a maker's mark.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin