Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,754   Online: 856

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Need lens help for Speed Graphic

I have recently acquired a Speed Graphic. It seems to be in pretty good shape except that the lens is a bit cloudy. I'm new to large format......and have no idea what type of lens would fit this camera. I do know that I could use a lens from a Polaroid 110A or 110B......but I prefer to buy from KEH and they don't have one. They have large format lenses......but again, I don't know which ones would fit this camera. Not sure if it matters.....but I'll be using a roll film back. (6X9) As far as focal length.....I'm mainly interested in landscape and old buildings. I will appreciate any advice. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try cleaning the lens you have. What is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a 135mm Graflex Optar 4.7. I tried cleaning it........seems to be on the inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove the lens cells from the shutter and clean the inside parts too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chazz View Post
    It's a 135mm Graflex Optar 4.7. I tried cleaning it........seems to be on the inside.
    The front and rear cells unscrew from the shutter, then the front cell comes apart. That's a very good lens, it's a relabeled Wollensak Raptar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and its even better with a lens hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... and its even better with a lens hood.
    All lenses are better with a lens hood.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What others have said. With that said, if the clouding (or fungus) is something that cannot be cleaned, I have here the same exact lens in a good working shutter in a very decent condition that I can offer you for cheap. It's just lying around not being used. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are unable to clean the lens and decide to replace the lens, and you intend to use the rangefinder you need to buy another 135mm or the rangefinder cam will not match the focal length of the lens and you will out of focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    If you are unable to clean the lens and decide to replace the lens, and you intend to use the rangefinder you need to buy another 135mm or the rangefinder cam will not match the focal length of the lens and you will out of focus.
    Unless he gets another Optar/Raptar (or lens with identical flange focus distance) he'll nedd to recalibrate the RF anyway.
    Checking the RF calibration should be mandatory on a used camera, as well as checking the GG registry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin