Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,660   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It came fairly clean with just distilled water and a soft cloth, so I'm leaving it alone for now. It was NOT an abrasion. There do seem to be slight imperfections in the lens, but I don't know if they're bubbles or what.

When my husband wakes up from his turkey-induced coma and I have completed the rolls and the green bean casserole for our get together tomorrow, I'll throw him in front of my wall and shoot him with it. I may not get it developed until tomorrow night, though.

I wanted to roll the dice one more time before I stopped doing that in favor of a modern lens. I kind of love this one, though, and I haven't even shot with it yet. It's so TINY.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, so...yay for image!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	needtodothisagain2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	60407

8", 1 second, f/8 (wide open). Shadow weirdness at right is where I tripped the shutter with my finger due to not having an actual air bulb.

So. Happy. I can't wait to use it more.

There *is* some weirdness inside the elements, but I'm probably going to send it out rather than attempt to open it up and do it myself. I'm not really in a huge hurry, though, as it doesn't seem to detract from image quality at all. Who actually cleans up and recements lenses like this?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Stephanie -
    Did you unscrew the lens groups from the shutter to clean the inner surfaces? If not, don't be afraid to try it. Just grab the metal housings and unscrew them from the shutter. Then you can clean the inner surfaces.

I don't think there is anyone out there recementing lenses these days. It would cost you much more than you paid for the lens to have it done.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Stephanie -
    Did you unscrew the lens groups from the shutter to clean the inner surfaces? If not, don't be afraid to try it. Just grab the metal housings and unscrew them from the shutter. Then you can clean the inner surfaces.

I don't think there is anyone out there recementing lenses these days. It would cost you much more than you paid for the lens to have it done.

Peter Gomena
    That I've done. I'm not completely opposed to doing the cleaning/recementing myself, but...I've never done it before. I guess doing it with a 30 dollar lens would be the best way to learn, but I actually *like* this lens. :P

I'm going to leave it alone for now, anyway, and just take lots of pictures with it. It's not bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty cool results for a thirty dollar lens. The lens on my "5x7" kodak 2D (which turned out to be an 8x10 with a reducing back) had been dropped at one time. When I opened up the lens I noticed a big chip on one of the elements, but it still works well and I don't have the money to replace it.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael, what does the price at which a used piece of equipment have to do with anything? Many of us -- look for threads here and elsewhere on "your best snag ever" -- have bought used gear at prices far below current (or even contemporary with the purchase) market price. Every once in a while there's a pricing anomaly ...

I don't think that the OP's lens was seen as a piece of cheap trash when new. Convertible lenses were serious ...

Did I ever tell you about the time I bought ten (10) 38/4.5 Biogons for $580 delivered?

Oh, and by the way, I salute the OP, who hasn't always had two dimes to rub together, for hazarding $30 on a possibly crappy unknown old lens that cleaned up nicely and turned out to be very much to her liking. Been there, done that, am probably the better for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin