Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,279   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Again with the project lenses...

So I have no idea what this lens actually is. THIS is the condition, though, which makes me pause as to how to best clean it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sonofa.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	60093

It doens't appear to be fungus, and it only appears to be on the glass on the outside, not the inside, of the groups. This: good. But...

How the hell do I clean it up? Cotton swab, soft towel, and vinegar just in case? Shutter is nice and aperture runs NICE and smooth, so now all I have to do is worry about the glass...and also what the hell it is. Seller thought Wollensak and, since the shutter is obviously from a Seneca, it'd be likely. It's a triple convertible that will cover 5x7 and it's TINY. That's about all I know. I don't have focal lengths or anything.

Time to do some research.

ETA: Actually, found some more.

8"/14"/18". Cool.

Picture, crappy though it may be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripleconvertible.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	60095
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 11-23-2012 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I worked on some of my lenses.

I typically start with a moist lens cloth. (not the paper kind but a real cloth - the type used for poly carbonate eye glasses) I use pure water first. Then go to a lens cleaning solution - very gentle type. I keep the pressure light and in circular motion. I have to fight the urge to apply pressure or use finger nails.... I repeat these process a few times.

After this, I use Q-tips and do the same.

If no joy at this point, it's either 1) forget it 2) risk damage or 3) send it to a pro.

It's so hard to fight the urge to apply pressure trying to clean the crud off.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think I'll even need pressure.

Note: a pro will, eventually, be working on it. Have to figure out who I want to send it to first, but if she'll do it I'll likely send it to Carol Flutot's, if just to get timings for the shutter so that I can expose accordingly.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I forgot a very important step. Blow off the lose dust with pressurized air as a very first thing.

Good luck Stephanie....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There indeed does not seem to be a fungus among us. WOOHOO. Not crystal clear as there are some fine scratches, but...seriously. I paid $30. I'm not going to complain about something so trivial as a few cleaning marks. I'll use a bloody hood even if I have to make it myself. This lens makes my 5x7 into a one lens kit.

Now all I have to do is figure out the U.S. aperture scale. I have an 8" f/8, a 14" f/16 and an 18" f/22. If I've done the conversion right, anyway.

Now, I'm going to go put some film in some film holders and take some rather crappy shots of something or other to test out the 8" length.
    Last edited by Stephanie Brim; 11-24-2012 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

I had a very similar lens on a 5x7 Seneca I recently sold. The lens had no manufacturer's name on it, but it was in a similar Wollensak shutter. It is a convertible rapid rectilinear. Mine was capable of making very good images. The corners were a little soft at wider apertures, but at f/16 or smaller, it was very sharp.

American scale: 4=modern 8, 8=modern 11, 16=modern 16, 32=modern 22, 64=modern 32, 128 = modern 45, etc.

Peter Gomena
    Last edited by pgomena; 11-24-2012 at 01:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected an error on the aperture number conversion

Shooter
    35mm
    It does look like abrasion, not a removable smudge. If it is you should be able to get it re-polished but at what expence. If it is a coated lens this will remove the coating which will have to be re-applied incurring more cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello MS Brim;
    Your lens is not coated and would remove the elements to clean. I use microfiber cleaning cloths and a good glass cleaner. Blow the crud off first and flood the element with cleaner to float any abrasive off the glass. Use your fingernail with cloth to get into tight corners and scrape off spots. A push on filter holder with an old skylight or light yellow filter might make a great addition, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    try using equal parts ammonia and hydrogen peroxide and a cotton swab.
    not sure if it would be ok to soak your lens elements in it, or just use the swab
    but from all reports, it works wonders...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...lense-elements

Shooter
    Large Format
    It shouldn't be hard to clean if you can get into the lens elements, but it might be worth just shooting some pictures to try it out first. At one time Sally Mann was seeking out lenses with all kind of issues for their interesting qualities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin