Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,629   Online: 895

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Large format is just abound with opportunities to screw up images, including:
    Pulling the wrong darkslide resulting in an exposure through the ground glass.

For tray processing of two or more sheets, have a look at the "slosher" method. Plenty of posts here and elsewhere on the internet, so a simple search will turn up enough of them to keep you busy for a while.. Alternatives are the BTZS tubes, Arkay/Doran paper safes (modified with a slosher), and the Paterson Orbital.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snay1345 View Post
    I just put two sheets at a time in a 2x 120 size steel tank and go that way. I gave up trays as my technique sucks and I hated being hunched over in my bathtub as I don't have a darkroom.
    That's good to know as I just ordered a tank like that (it does 2x120 and 4x35) so if I ever decide to take the plunge I'm covered

Shooter
    Large Format

Re: I unexpectedly find myself a large format shooter and need processing advice

Tray developing is such a pain if not doing one sheet at a time. If you can find a used Combi tank your developing will get much easier! Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Holy crap you guys are right, this camera could get very addictive.
    I had one camera, a Nikon N-75 and a 28mm to 300mm Tamron zoom lens that I used to take color prints. I was happy.
    Then I joined APUG ...
    So I bought a 20mm to 35mm Nikon zoom lens
    then a Nikon F-100 and a Nikon 28mm to 200mm zoom to take black & white photographs
    picked up a Chromega Chromatic II 5D-XL enlarger
    had to go back and get the Omega 150 drum print dryer
    then a Mamiya C330 with 65mm, 80mm, and 180mm lenses
    sold the Mamiya and bought a Hasselblad 503 CX and a 250mm lens
    then 80mm Hasselblad lens,
    next 50mm Hasselblad lens,
    ran out and bought a Jobo CPA2
    found and bought a Jobo CPP2
    sold the Jobo CPA2
    needed and bought a 150mm Hasselblad lens,
    had to have and bought a Hasselblad 903 SWC
    bought a 1928 4"x5" Graflex Model D
    called the seller up and rushed back to get a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic
    ended up with a Tessina Auto 35 with a daylight loader, prism, canisters and cartridges
    bought the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum
    added a Voitlander Vito II
    several lenses for the Speed Graphic
    could not resist collecting barrel lenses for the Graflex including an Imagon
    picked up a Brownie Hawkeye Flashmodel Camera
    just could not pass up a WideLux F7
    I have two freezers with no longer available 35mm, 120mm and 4"x5" film ...

I have over 10,000 APUG posts and I wonder why the Hell did I ever get started @#$^W#*& APUG!!!

You, poor sole, have not the slight inkling of how fatally doomed you are!

You are now committed to spend eternity buying just one more lens or one last camera. May your spouse, your children, your grandchildren, and God have mercy on your damned sole!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, you forgot to mention that 3x4 Graflex and that 3-1/4 x4-1/4 film that I bought from you.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, adelorenzo, got enough advice yet?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    LOL Sirius but ain't that the truth.....I'm nowhere near at your level and since joining I've both a Yashica 35 electro, debonair (similar to holga), Graflex 22, light meter, flash for Nikon FG, film, paper, etc. And yesterday I ordered a Patterson 4 tank that can develop 2 rolls of 120 or 4 rolls of 35

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    So, adelorenzo, got enough advice yet?
    I'll take everything I can get.

Seriously though thanks everybody for all the really helpful replies. I'll try some different stuff and see what works best for me.

I'm still in disbelief about what I picked up. I paid $190 for a Toyo CX 45, Rodenstock 150mm lens, four film holders, 50 sheets of Tmax 100 and a cable release. Everything in like-new condition.

It turns out that my scanner (Epson 500) won't do large format so I'll have to make contacts and scan those, but for the time being here is a partial scan of my first-ever successful sheet of 4x5 film. The top and bottom of the frame are cropped by the scanner, unfortunately. I didn't have a lot of light for ISO 100 film so had to shoot at 1/30 which mean's it's not pin sharp but I'm still really excited about the possibilities of this camera. This is basically a straight scan all I did was a little bit of highlight recovery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-121125-0001-2.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    adelorenzo,

Looks good already. Doesn't look like you need to rush into buying any processing equipment if trays gave you this kind of negative. Trays give even development. That is the standard I use to judge any processing results.

I process by tray and accept the occasional scratch as part of the deal. Many people who tray process use "slosher" inserts. I think they may help improve even-ness and reduce scratches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    Steve, you forgot to mention that 3x4 Graflex and that 3-1/4 x4-1/4 film that I bought from you.
    Yes, 1919 3 1/4" x 4 1/4" RB Graflex that turned out to be a shelf queen and a wonderful circa 1935 Certo Dolly SuperSport 120 6x6 and 6x645 folder with a sharp Zeiss lens. And several others that have come and gone.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin