Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,909   Online: 1062

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah I'm pretty much hooked already.

@chassis I think I'll probably try something like what you describe. Because I happen to have a roller unit with various size drums I'm going to figure out a way to get some film holders in there. I was thinking plumbing pipe of some sort.

In the meantime I'll process in trays and, f I don't end up with something that works, I'm leaning towards buying a Jobo multi-tank with 4x5 reels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's a sickness. I don't really want to recover from it, though, unlike the stomach thing I've been dealing with since last night. Got the bug, though, to test out a new lens with a shot of my 10 year old Doc Martens. They're getting replaced by some new Made In England ones next year, but I may have them resoled anyway just because.

Shot is drying now.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made two contact prints tonight and they are sooooo nice... nicer than my medium format enlargements.

Next question will be to find out how this camera fares in the extreme cold.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I just walked out of our local camera swap with a complete Toyo CX 45 setup in as-new condition. I wasn't planning to jump into larger formats at this time but I couldn't leave it there as the price was extremely low. I'm still kind of in shock, actually.

I am hopeful that I can fumble my way through loading and actually shooting this camera. I think I'll just try processing in my 8x10 printing trays for now, but I'm looking for suggestions for film processing?

Other than trays I also have various Cibachrome/Unicolor/Jobo drums and tanks in various sizes and configurations along with some kind of agitator system that I believe were used for color printing. Could I use that for sheet film?

Otherwise I'd like to know what people would suggest for a simple, efficient way to process black and white 4x5 film at home. If I do any color I'll send it to the lab.

Regards,
    Anthony
    You poor bastard.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    I use BTZS tubes for 4x5 processing; they are easy and efficient. Chemical usage is 2-6 oz. of solution, depending on your agitation method. I use 6 oz. total solution, with D-76 at 1:3, so this is 1.5 oz. of stock solution. Pretty economical. I use semi-stand development for agitation.

The tubes are relatively inexpensive, less than $200 for a set. You can process one film at a time if desired, or up to 5 at a time.

The tubes can also be home made using black plumbing pipe. I have not done this, but it seems easy enough.
    And if you know someone doing some heavy arc duty welding, the BTZ tubes look a lot like the watertight tubes used to store arc welding rod on job sites.

They doing any pipeline welding in your area?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Out of curiosity I looked up Whitehorse weather. I was going to suggest you get out today and shoot something since it looked like your last "warm" day for awhile (maybe months). I think the predicted high was 10 degrees, I assume Celsius. But then I went to your Flickr pages and saw you and your friends riding your bikes in 40 below weather! I think you can handle cold weather 4X5 shooting just fine. It will be interesting to see how the camera likes it. Once when I was much younger I did a shot at -10F. I set up and focused, then removed the lens and board and slipped them in an inside pocket to keep the shutter warm until I was ready to shoot (I was waiting for a train to come through). It looks like you have a lot of interesting subject matter in your area to use 4X5 on, especially the old mining equipment. Have fun!

Len

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Len,

It's about -20 C this morning and heading down towards -30 C later this week, you must have seen a strange forecast. These are some of my favourite times to shoot as you get interesting phenomena like ice fog and sun dogs. Plus at this time of year it's pretty much 'golden hour' for the entire day, all 4-5 hours of it.

I'm used to shooting cameras in the extreme cold, my biggest concern is that the bellows or one of the control knobs will crack.

Regards,
    Anthony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You poor bastard.
    I just want to point out that you are at least partially responsible for this. I watched all of your videos on youtube.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am just watching the ending of an auction where an older model, used Jobo multitank and 4x5 reel sold for 120% of the new model retail price. Are these things really that rare?

Images
    You think that 4x5 contact is nice, wait till you get a 5x7 camera then an 8x10.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin