Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,895   Online: 963

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Images
    Depends on the tank but the market drives the price. As long as people are willing to pay 2-3 times the cost of a new model the prices will remain high.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    My mistake on the temperature. I went back and looked here: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX0540 and the site gives it in degrees F, not C. Either way, it is cold. I went to the Spokane WA area forecast and saw highs this week in the low 40s F with rain and realized how warm that is by comparison.

I suspect there is information online about LF shooting in sub-freezing conditions. The bellows may be something to be careful of. You might need to leave the focus racked out to the lens focal length so the bellows only needs to flex slightly when you fine focus. It probably depends on the bellows material. Keeping the shutter as warm as possible so it doesn't slow down from the cold is probably the main thing. I don't know if there is any chance of light leaks when removing the darkslide from the light trap material not springing closed. You'll just have to experiment and have fun.

Len

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson View Post
    My mistake on the temperature. I went back and looked here: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX0540 and the site gives it in degrees F, not C. Either way, it is cold. I went to the Spokane WA area forecast and saw highs this week in the low 40s F with rain and realized how warm that is by comparison.

I suspect there is information online about LF shooting in sub-freezing conditions. The bellows may be something to be careful of. You might need to leave the focus racked out to the lens focal length so the bellows only needs to flex slightly when you fine focus. It probably depends on the bellows material. Keeping the shutter as warm as possible so it doesn't slow down from the cold is probably the main thing. I don't know if there is any chance of light leaks when removing the darkslide from the light trap material not springing closed. You'll just have to experiment and have fun.

Len
    Here's my limited practical experience with cold, down to about 0f. No problems with bellows or camera mechanics, aside from cold fingers. No obvious problems with shutters, though most of my exposures are long or bulb.

Problems that I have had are fog on the gg and lens elements, and static. No lightning bolts, rather an affinity for every free particle to attach to various things including film and dark slides. Also dropping things in snow can be a royal pain.

All in all I have found it doable, if even more meticuloudly plodding than normal LF.

Here's my favorite acronym that I say to myself:

FAST

Focus- image focused and camera locked

Aperture- aperture set

Shutter- shutter closed

Tach- shutter speed set and cocked.

Only after my FAST check is complete do I pull the slide. This stupid little thing has saved me a lot of blown sheets.

Ask me later how to go out and shoot empty holders all day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

This one's easy. It is a good way to save on film though. You get the chick magnet action of using the camera without the hassle of processing.

LF Chick Magnet Action

Set up
    Look thoughtfully at the scene (and for hot photo chicks)
    Wait for hot photo chick to come ask to look under your dark cloth
    Join her under the dark cloth
    Load film holder into camera while getting her number or room number
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    You think that 4x5 contact is nice, wait till you get a 5x7 camera then an 8x10.
    Then a 36x24

http://www.picturecorrect.com/news/w...uring-america/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Here's my limited practical experience with cold, down to about 0f. No problems with bellows or camera mechanics, aside from cold fingers. No obvious problems with shutters, though most of my exposures are long or bulb.

Problems that I have had are fog on the gg and lens elements, and static. No lightning bolts, rather an affinity for every free particle to attach to various things including film and dark slides. Also dropping things in snow can be a royal pain.

All in all I have found it doable, if even more meticuloudly plodding than normal LF.

Here's my favorite acronym that I say to myself:

FAST

Aperture- aperture set

Shutter- shutter closed

Tach- shutter speed set and cocked.

Only after my FAST check is complete do I pull the slide. This stupid little thing has saved me a lot of blown sheets.

I like what you posted, I have done a variation of that:

Aperture- aperture set

Dark Slide - Pull the dark slide

Shutter - Crank to a narrower slit

Swear - Swear and repeat the process.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would have developed that shot anyway. Just in case.

Also fun: forgetting to pull the darkslide. Not as frustrating as burning the sheet of film for pulling it too early, but it can be its own little hell.

I have also shot empty holders. This is why I tend to mark mine now with what they have in them. Always. As soon as I'm done loading them. And then I erase it when I'm done. And I have separate bags for empty and loaded holders. And those bags are MARKED.

I try to idiot proof as much as possible since I'm, more than not, the idiot.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I haven't had any more time to shoot so I haven't been able to ruin any more shots. A friend gave me a 100-sheet box of Ilford FP4 so at least I've got lots to play with, hopefully this weekend.

I have been spending some time fooling around in the darkroom making contact prints. Here's my first print from my first sheet of film:

Sierra by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    The way i develope my mammoth plexiglas negatives ànd my 18x24 inch paper contacts is i purchased a 10 foot 2x4 cut it so i had four 30 inch long pieces nailed them to form a cube purchased some 6 mil black plastic from home depot cut the plastic oversize to fill the cube and added my chemicals

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah yeah, so for the record using a view camera when it's cold is not a lot of fun. I went out today to shoot, it's only -30 C (albeit -40 with the wind chill) but it's really kind of a bad time.

The whole large format idea of taking your time and really composing the shot is totally at odds with the few seconds you have to do anything before your hands freeze. I managed to shoot six sheets of film but made fatal mistakes with two of them from being so rushed. It is really hard to dial in your image as you really only have a couple of seconds under the dark cloth at a time as your breath ices up the ground glass, not to mention it is extremely difficult to operate the controls.

The camera also had some issues, biggest one being that the fine focusing knobs were totally unusable so I could only focus by moving the standards back and forth. I'll have to strip those apart and take all the grease out for winter use. But really it's more of the human problems with the cold that make the process difficult.

I will definitely try again but for the most part I'll stick to medium format for the colder days.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin