Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,636   Online: 878

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I love my Gitzo but I recently got a $150 surveyor's tripod, bright yellow and sturdier than anything I've used before.
    It has a 5/8" thread that I just switched out with a 99 cent bolt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been using a Gitzo 1325 for about the past ten years. It's been replaced by a newer model, but the 1325 is so good it's likely the last tripod I'll ever need to buy. It securely holds my Chamonix 045n, and also a 19th century Watson & Son half plate tailboard camera. The tripod is rock solid and yet relatively light.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had a Manfrotto 058B for about 9 years of fairly heavy use and I love it. Its quick to set up, rock solid and very rugged. I have the old style 501 Fluid head on it and really like it. Its not a lightweight unit by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a little Redged RTA 424 with a Manfrotto 496 head for 35 and MF use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Early this year I replaced my Slik SL-76 Prototype taht I've been using since the mid 1980's (it was secondhand then), the new one one was less than £20 at a camear fair. OK that was pure luck but there's plenty of excellent second hand tripods in the UK for not much more. I used the old Slick with 5x4 and also 10x8 and before that professionally and it.

I've a Manfroto and a Majestic tripod as well and didn't pay much for either of them, so shop around, I see a lot of good tripods selling very regulary and in excellent condition.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Spend about 70 to 100 USD on a used Tiltall, the Leitz or Marchioni production. Do not buy the current Chinese garbage version. No other tripod will do any better job of holding your camera up.
    Ditto. I have several tripods larger and smaller than the Tiltall, but rarely use them. Tiltall includes a decent three axis head, too. One second-hand Tiltall lasted me for over 35 years until I lost it. They were designed to work well and built to last long.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an Induro C314 - it's a carbon-fiber tripod that weighs 5lbs and is rated to handle up to 39.5 lbs. I use it with everything from my RB67 up to my 5x12 and whole plate cameras (6.5x8.5). I've never tried my 14x17 on it because I know it will wiggle (the fault of the head, not the legs... it wiggles even on my Inka studio stand), but it will bear the weight of the 14x17. They're not cheap, but they're a good couple hundred less than an equivalent Gitzo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Spend about 70 to 100 USD on a used Tiltall, the Leitz or Marchioni production. Do not buy the current Chinese garbage version. No other tripod will do any better job of holding your camera up.
    Tiltalls are great, but I would insert two qualifiers: First, they are best suited for 35mm and medium format cameras only; anything heavier and you will be tempting fate. Secondly, as good as Tiltalls are (the Marchioni and Leitz versions - ONLY), they are a great pain-in-the-a** to work with in cold weather. I make this remark as someone who was left with a $400-plus repair bill to a lens that was damaged when a leg gave way (the security of the leg extensions gets difficult to judge when you are out shooting on -20C (and lower) winter days).

For my beast Nikkors (300mm f2.8, 400mm f3.5 and 600mm f4) and back when I shot 4x5, I use(d) a Manfrotto ) 055. A hulking beast of a tripod, it will support most anything securely. The question then becomes: Can you hire a Sherpa to carry the monster for you?
    Last edited by BradleyK; 11-27-2012 at 11:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a smaller Giottos carbon fiber tripod I hike with. It was a few pounds but it can support my Mamiya RZ with a lens and prism.

http://www.giottosusa.com/professional-tripods.shtml
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Tiltalls are great, but I would insert two qualifiers: First, they are best suited for 35mm and medium format cameras only; anything heavier and you will be tempting fate. Secondly, as good as Tiltalls are (the Marchioni and Leitz versions - ONLY), they are a great pain-in-the-a** to work with in cold weather (and as someone who was left with a $400-plus repair bill to a lens that was damaged when a leg gave way (the security of the leg extensions gets difficult to judge when you are out shooting on -20C (and lower) winter days.

For my beast Nikkors (300mm f2.8, 400mm f3.5 and 600mm f4) and back when I shot 4x5, I use(d) a Manfrotto ) 055. A hulking beast of a tripod, it will support most anything securely. The question then becomes: Can you hire a Sherpa to carry the monster for you?
    A Marchioni Tiltall has supported my Linhof STIV since 1988, and done a very good job at it.
    If you keep the leg locking mechanisms clean and lubricated, they will not fail.

I have no solution for the cold weather problem, beyond a decent pair of gloves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Berlebach Report. Wonderful tripod. But not for travel. I will get a lightweight compact Feisol when funds allow.
    Ditto except for the travel restriction unless it refers to planes.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin