Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,208   Online: 840

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    As for me, I use a Mountaineer Series Gitzo and Acratech ball head with my view camera, which is quite a bit larger than yours. My needs are stability, light weight, portability, and versatility, in that order. Once the camera is stable, it is stable, and weight can always be added to the tripod, or the legs "sandbagged" if additional stability is required. My biggest enemy is wind blowing into that sail of a bellows.
    That's precisely the same set-up as mine, great for hiking, with the same issues as mentioned by ROL. I would add, that I like how easily I can covert the Acratech Arca-style ballhead into an plain one (without a QR plate), to use with a Hasselblad own quick-release plate, when, occasionally, I leave my 4x5 behind.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Manfrotto 3221WN with a Manfrotto 3047 head

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Manfrotto 3246 with 3047 head. The legs are sufficiently heavyweight for an 8x10 but I am not a big fan of the head design, and the hex plate doesnt seem as secure as I would like.

-I always thought a gitzo 1570 head would be perfect, but I never had the chance to try one out.

I also have a antique wooden miller tripod, probably designed for a cinema camera. Similar to this but with a flat plate and a 1/4 tripod screw. No head at all, I just raise or lower the legs for a little bit of tilt. Loosen the tripod screw for pan. I cut out a circle of cork to protect the wood of the camera from the metal the head, but I think rubber gasket material would work better. Easily handles 8x10.

For 35mm - 4x5, I have a manfrotto 055xPROb with 804RC2. I like the lever locks on this better than the twist lock on say a tiltall. Again, the quick release plate seems to be a point of instability, but I have learned to live with it.

I have had a Tiltall before ( a later version). The integrated head is better (for large format) than most other pan-tilt heads imho. There is no quick-release plate, only a 1/4 inch standard bolt. (though this requires some force to tighten enough for a heavy camera/lens) The pivots are stacked right on top of each other and completely centered. But I was having problems tightening the legs enough, or too much. The lock rings really need to be larger, or have a tab for more leverage. Perhaps the earlier versions are better in this respect.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

yes the wolf tripods are real value for money.

they are no highend, yoy can not get the camera 9 cm above the floor (only ca. 35-40 cm)
    and its not lightweight. but it was also in the alps at 2800 meters high.

i prefer the screw-fastener and not the quicksnaps.

regards

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pcyco View Post
    hallo

yes the wolf tripods are real value for money.

they are no highend, yoy can not get the camera 9 cm above the floor (only ca. 35-40 cm)
    and its not lightweight. but it was also in the alps at 2800 meters high.

i prefer the screw-fastener and not the quicksnaps.

regards

thomas
    Thanks for your input, they do indeed seem like good value for money, with regards to what you said about the fastening method, I will be going with the standard screw mount rather than any of those 'quick release' or 'quicksnap' fittings, I will have the 1 main large format camera that I will be using, its not like I have a car full of large format cameras to need to quickly swap between them - its a bit odd that they are out there for large format as you can quickly get the camera mounted up to then take your time with the shot lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    I will be going with the standard screw mount rather than any of those 'quick release' or 'quicksnap' fittings, I will have the 1 main large format camera that I will be using, its not like I have a car full of large format cameras to need to quickly swap between them - its a bit odd that they are out there for large format as you can quickly get the camera mounted up to then take your time with the shot lol
    I have no doubt that your choice will work well for you, and may be stabler than that of others. I also always travel with just one camera, yet I find the QR plate on the Acratech ballhead valuable. In a day of hiking, I would set the camera up a good few times, often in tighter places, sometimes on exposed rock ledges, where rotating it, or the tripod, to screw it on, would not be as comfortable as just sliding it into the QR plate, as the camera is a slightly bulky. If I had to, I could always remove the ballhead to access the central screw, right on location, but I have never found a need to do that. Looking at my enlargements, I cannot see that the plate is causing any detrimental effects, but I understand your conditions could be different from mine.

For reference, the tripod is a 12-year old Gitzo G1227 Mk II, a 3-section, central column, carbon mountaineer, with a hook for weighing it down with my equipment backpack, which I rarely do. It is a bit beaten by now, and still works like new. The head is a recent Acratech GP. Some photographers remarked how "lightweight" my set-up looked to them—I relish that light weight every time I go hiking or climbing for a few days, long may it last... Having said that, I have been in a very few situations where a heavier set-up would have been more appropriate, but I would not have carried it there in the first place.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I have an Induro C314 - it's a carbon-fiber tripod that weighs 5lbs and is rated to handle up to 39.5 lbs. I use it with everything from my RB67 up to my 5x12 and whole plate cameras (6.5x8.5). I've never tried my 14x17 on it because I know it will wiggle (the fault of the head, not the legs... it wiggles even on my Inka studio stand), but it will bear the weight of the 14x17. They're not cheap, but they're a good couple hundred less than an equivalent Gitzo.
    Same setup here except the C114 series which I use with a M7II and a Graphic 4x5 with no issues. Total out the door with ballhead was around $350 from KEH
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do wish we had KEH in the UK lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have Mr Cad
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    You have Mr Cad
    Awesome thanks for pointing this out, I didn't think we had anything like that in the UK

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin