Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,988   Online: 670

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Worst thing ever invented with respect to view camera is a ball head, esp outdoors. Given the
    laws of physics and vibration, it's the weakest link to the support system.
    This reminds me of Fred Picker's comment regarding ball heads "flopping around like a rag doll".

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I don't use any head, just plop the view camera right atop a nice large tripod platform, just like surveyers did for decades.
    This is what I use most of the time except when I need to tilt the whole contraption way up or down.

Alan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    a sherpa,yeah that's what i'm missing!
    How about a Wife or a girlfriend?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just acquired a 1960s Linhof Rekord with mated pan/tilt head. This thing is heavy! Perfect for my 4x5. The amazing things is, I bought it at a camera shop for for 60 Euros, even though I've seen the same thing on auction sites going for 200-600 dollars!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a few tripods but my favourite is a Linhof which I inherited from my father. It came from a studio he used to work in many years ago.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was lucky to find an old wooden Ries tripod with single-tilt head for the bargain price of $100. It holds my heavy 8x10 rock-solid. Used Ries tripods aren't easy to find and I don't know if you're located in or near a big city, but if you happen to run across a lighter model, I'd recommend it without question.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a few tripods for large format. I started out with Manfrotto 3221 legs and 3047 three way head. This is a fantastic tripod for the money but, a little heavy for the trail. Like I said, I have several others but the Berlebach 8043 Report is by far the favorite. I should probably just sell all the rest.
    Last edited by BradS; 01-09-2013 at 12:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to go cheap then you just can't beat an old used aluminum Tilt-All if it will support your 4x5. I use one with a Crown Graphic with no problems.

If you want to go ultra light carbon fiber then Feisol is really nice but Gitzo is more expensive and the best in my opinion.

If you want to go wood then Berlebach is really nice but Ries is more expensive and the best in my opinion.

I use two Ries tripods (A100 and J1000) and a Tilt-All. I have owned Gitzo and Berlebach. I have never used a Feisol but have read the specs so I am pulling a Ken Rockwell here.

Someone mentioned a Majestic which is a very fine tripod but overkill for a 4x5 field camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry about that but I meant Ries J100 and not J1000.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mine is wooden. A Berlebach 9033, take large format without a hitch. http://jabcam.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/a-wooden-tripod/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Majestic, it is a beast, but I got it for a song, so it was worth it. I need a lighter tripod for the field, but for now the Majestic will have to do.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin