Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,538   Online: 942

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What tripod do you have?

Hi all,

I'm going to be investing a bit of cash in a tripod for a large format camera when do indeed get one, I will be shooting a 'small' large format size ie 5x4 so nothing massively heavy but of course I would need a stable base as I might need to do long exposures on some of the experimental processes I might try and use in camera.

This will be my first proper tripod, I won't really need to mount anything heavier than a 5x4 field camera so I don't need to go super high end otherwise I might as well just gaffa tape it to a large rock lol

Anyway, what tripod are you using or would recommend me looking at - should I buy legs and a head separate or should I get one with both parts together? My budget would be at around the £150-200 mark as its something I want to put a bit of cash into, but the more I spend on it, the less I have to spend on film etc ie I could get a £1,000 tripod that's amazing, but then can't afford anything else lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Gitzos myself, although I know many people like Reis or Feisols.

I shoot a lot more 120 than I do 4x5 though, so I prefer a looser Gitzo ball head to keep things snappy and fast than mucking about with a precision geared head. My Gitzo Reporter held my Crown Graphic just dandy, but sadly that one vanished this summer in a cab somewhere in NYC. I replaced it with a slightly heavier Gitzo, although I'm not totally positive of the exact model. I do know it holds the 4x5 Crown just fine, and I've put a 4x5 monorail on it before without any troubles so I've had no complaints.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i use a wolf wooden tripod with a inclinable column and a novoflex adapter.
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/8043.html
    tomorrow comes the novoflex ball 4. it should work with my calumet 400

regards

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 2 Manfrotto's plus a large B&S head. The 55b is a bit of a beast but with a good B&S head would handle large format easily. The other is a Manfrotto 190 which is a bit light for a LF camera but OK for MF and 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I´m a great Gitzo fan too, since they are a joy to use. It doesn´t need to be carbon fibre, alu is pretty sufficient. I had several tripods before but now I am satisfied. Use a GT4330LS with 1570M head for medium format. The head can be found pretty cheap used. Its movements are a bit stiff though, since it was obviously designed for heavier cameras, but I put a lot of lube on the axes and that solved it so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Mannfrotto 055 CLB with the centercollumn cut off. Not long ago I had it fitted with a Benro B3 Ballhead which is only slightly inferiour to the Arca Swiss heads but at a fraction of the price. I use it for all formats up to 13X18cm and it supports my Sinar Norma just fine.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pcyco View Post
    hallo

i use a wolf wooden tripod with a inclinable column and a novoflex adapter.
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/8043.html
    tomorrow comes the novoflex ball 4. it should work with my calumet 400

regards

thomas
    Those Thomas are beautiful, I ruled out wooden tripods due to them apparently being really expensive but those are very reasonably priced! Would people recommend that I get the legs and mount separate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tripod depends on the shooting conditions. If it is windy I use a converted tripod originally intended for use with laser instruments at building sites and a Gitzo no 4 head. This tripod weighs 15kg and supports my weight without any trouble.
    If the conditions are normal I use a Manfrotto 190 with 4x5 field cameras. No need to carry more than you have to. Light tripods can be weighed down if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Berlebach Report. Wonderful tripod. But not for travel. I will get a lightweight compact Feisol when funds allow.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    Hi all,

I'm going to be investing a bit of cash in a tripod for a large format camera when do indeed get one, I will be shooting a 'small' large format size ie 5x4 so nothing massively heavy but of course I would need a stable base as I might need to do long exposures on some of the experimental processes I might try and use in camera.

This will be my first proper tripod, I won't really need to mount anything heavier than a 5x4 field camera so I don't need to go super high end otherwise I might as well just gaffa tape it to a large rock lol

Anyway, what tripod are you using or would recommend me looking at - should I buy legs and a head separate or should I get one with both parts together? My budget would be at around the £150-200 mark as its something I want to put a bit of cash into, but the more I spend on it, the less I have to spend on film etc ie I could get a £1,000 tripod that's amazing, but then can't afford anything else lol
    Spend about 70 to 100 USD on a used Tiltall, the Leitz or Marchioni production. Do not buy the current Chinese garbage version. No other tripod will do any better job of holding your camera up.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin