Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 777

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    I once saw the Speed Graphic described as the "Harley Davidson of cameras." They were designed for press work so, as shooters, they're better than most 4 by 5 cameras you will encounter. Later models with a body release are a titch easier to use, but nothing a small cable release can't compensate for.

They're chick magnets, too.
    Just as a matter of interest; A "chick magnet" is usually an intelligent, caring, decent looking fellow, less than 40, unmarried, good teeth and a few dollars in his bank account. He could be swinging a dead rat for it that mattered after that.
    Last edited by Paul Goutiere; 11-29-2012 at 08:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    I once saw the Speed Graphic described as the "Harley Davidson of cameras."

They're chick magnets, too.
    They don't make flatulent sounds while pumping raw gas out of their chrome loud pipes while going actually going slow, so they aren't like Harleys that way. Harleys are chick magnets somehow, so that makes Speeds kinda like them, Plus the black and fake chrome color combo and leather strap.

It's a very convenient and affordable camera. I mostly use barrel lenses, so I appreciate it for the built in shutter. Old speeds had more shutter speed options and bigger wooden DIY lensboards. Newer pacemaker ones had more movements and often graflok backs, so there's benefits to different speed graphic models.

Old folks love to chat about the camera when you use it. Everyone recognizes it from historic photos/movies. Some cameras beat a speed graphic for movements, sturdiness, bellow length, bling, but the speed is so convenient and good at basic 4x5 photography and for barrel lens use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the comments guys, it seems like I have made the right decision, I think they were also selling an 8x10 with a 6x9 roll film back on it, but I wanted to go with a 'small' large format as 5x4 film isn't that much compared to an 8x10 or larger size. Like I said I may get another large format camera - of the view camera sort, which might be an 8x10 to be taken out on special occasions etc but I wanted to start with something a bit more basic, and it seems that having an inbuilt shutter is rather useful, I could in theory make my own barrel lenses as well. What is pretty cool is that it comes with a lens (which also has a shutter) so I can have either which is good I've just seen the same lens being sold on its own for £150, so i'm happy that the camera isn't 'just' 2 standards with some bellows inbetween lol :P

I watched a video on youtube that showed a speed graphics with a very old barrel lens showing all the key features, which got me hooked

I currently have a gap in my collection for a 35mm folder as I now seem to have a MF folder - a Bessa, and a LF folder - the Speed graphics

Edit - here is the video that got me hooked! I've just realised how small the camera is compared to the negative watching this video again, quite a robust and compact design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUgeoLkNYU
    Last edited by m1tch; 11-30-2012 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great Made in America camera to be proud of.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    A great Made in America camera to be proud of.
    Yes, sometimes I think I'd like to have another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    I could in theory make my own barrel lenses as well.
    Much easier said than done. And if you got a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, slowest timed shutter speed 1/30, you'll quickly learn why front-mounting lenses in barrel has charms.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got my first speed in 1966 while in high school and a crown in the early 70s. I still use both, the rangefinder on the speed no longer works, for field camera although somewhat heavy due to the focal plane shutter but still easy to carry and shoot with a monopod. I usally shoot with a 210 but also with a 127. The crown is lighter, I keep the 135mm so I can use the rangefinder, ideal for shooting to infinity with the sports finder hand held or on a monopod is a snap. Bushmans are also a great buy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Yes, sometimes I think I'd like to have another.
    Paul - Be careful what you wish for! I have (I think) 14 Graphics now of various vintages and sizes from 2X3 to 5X7. As long as you have just one, you are okay. Once you get a second it is really hard to resist a third and so on to ruin.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson View Post
    Paul - Be careful what you wish for! I have (I think) 14 Graphics now of various vintages and sizes from 2X3 to 5X7. As long as you have just one, you are okay. Once you get a second it is really hard to resist a third and so on to ruin.

Len
    Len, you're right, there is a disease but it is sometimes self-limiting. I bought a 2x3 Speed, discovered that for short lenses I needed a 2x3 Crown (or Century, which is what I got). IMO, one really needs a pair of Pacemakers, one each Crown and Speed. Two is just right.

Anyway, years after I got the Century and sold my Miniature Speed Graphic (surplus to requirements), I spent $80 for a 2x3 Crown with a 105/3.7 Ektar 'cos I wanted the lens. The Crown had a wrinkled bellows so I got a $10 2x3 Crown parts camera with Graflok and a good bellows. The $10 wonder turned out to be too nice to scrap. So now I have four, should sell the Crowns. The 105/3.7 Ektar has to go too.

I still fantasize about shooting 6x12 and a 4x5 Crown seems nearly the ideal camera for me (perhaps not others) to shoot 6x12 with. But the last time I was up in Woonsocket Adam convinced me that the shorter lenses I wanted to use on my hypothetical 4x5 Crown couldn't be made to work on one. My move to 6x12 is still stuck in the fantasizing stage.

I don't want to shoot anything else larger than 2x3 so have no reason to get a Graphic larger than 2x3. As mentioned, I have more 2x3s than I need. For me the disease has run its course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my crown! My sis got an old speed for free but it needs a tune up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin