Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,524   Online: 773

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update on this issue, the camera was fully checking by the guy I bought it from, he has had a few of them over the years do this when being posted out where the spring loaded slider mechanism slips and needs resetting, he is sending me over details of how to reset it back to how it was. If I can't sort it out he said he is willing to do it if I sent it back and he pays the postage - its nice to know that there are decent genuine sellers still out there!

To be honest I will probably be using a tether release on the front lens rather than using the focal plane shutter as it will reduce the jump of such a large curtain moving in the camera but I want to make sure its 100% if I do bolt on a barrel lens.

With regards to the missing lettering, I think it might indeed have been repainted/restored but the lettering not reapplied, I will look into getting something added, I will keep everyone posted with my progress, but so far I am very impressed with the number of features on this camera, especially due to fact it cost far less than half the cost of a 'body only' Shen camera and came with a decent (non standard) lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wouldn't worry about using the focal plane shutter. People buy these cameras just for that feature alone and I have never heard anything bad about the focal plane shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Alan, I did set the focal plane shutter at all speeds and there wasn't too much movement at the higher speeds, there was slightly more at the lower speeds probably due to the curtain taking a bit longer to move etc I will perhaps take some test photos at some point of the same location, one using the focal plane shutter and the other using the lens shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    Update on this issue, the camera was fully checking by the guy I bought it from, he has had a few of them over the years do this when being posted out where the spring loaded slider mechanism slips and needs resetting, he is sending me over details of how to reset it back to how it was. If I can't sort it out he said he is willing to do it if I sent it back and he pays the postage - its nice to know that there are decent genuine sellers still out there!

To be honest I will probably be using a tether release on the front lens rather than using the focal plane shutter as it will reduce the jump of such a large curtain moving in the camera but I want to make sure its 100% if I do bolt on a barrel lens.

With regards to the missing lettering, I think it might indeed have been repainted/restored but the lettering not reapplied, I will look into getting something added, I will keep everyone posted with my progress, but so far I am very impressed with the number of features on this camera, especially due to fact it cost far less than half the cost of a 'body only' Shen camera and came with a decent (non standard) lens.
    My Speed Graphic has the exact same problem, do you think it would be possible for you to upload these instructions to this site somehow?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mitch

fun camera !

you won't be able to use shutter-on-the-lens if your FP / in camera shutter is wound to anything but " 0 "

the finger button ( front of the case ... chrome &c ) depresses to release the shutter.
    don't bother using the slider lever on the side as a shutter trip, you will only have trouble. mine hasn't moved from the "front"
    position since around 1988 ... it is kind of silly to think it stops any accidents ...
    there doesn't seem to be a way to accidently fire the FP shutter unless you accidently wind put your lens on BULB, stop down,
    wind your shutter and then physically depress the chrome finger thing ...

if you can find a copy of lester + morgan ( or lester + lester ) 's book graflex and graphic photography
    buy it. the book is THE graflex photography book and will explain everything in great detail. graflex.org
    can be very helpful too. lots of people have these cameras and there is a huge knowledge base there, just use the search function ...

have fun !
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-05-2012 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the pictures, that black crinkle has *definitely* been repainted. Original paint doesn't look quite like that. (less crinkle, not as black).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the comments guys, I am guessing the body of the camera has been touched up, everything (apart from the slider) is basically mint and perfect so im guessing quite a bit has probably been taken apart, serviced and repaired/recovered, should hopefully sort out the slider tonight *crosses fingers*.

I will try and find that book suggested, I have checked out the graflex.org site, useful info

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=jnanian;1429191]. . . if you can find a copy of lester + morgan ( or lester + lester ) 's book graflex and graphic photography
    buy it. the book is THE graflex photography book and will explain everything in great detail. . . . [QUOTE]

Yes, indeed. Get at least the 8th edition, the first one that covers the early Pacemaker series. Online booksellers usually have these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, this is all sorted now, the seller sent me over the details on how to reset the switch - its very simple to do, basically remove the and then loosen the cover to allow the slider to move freely to the correct position then retighen. It seems that I am missing a screw on the plate which is why it might have come slightly loose in transit and slipped, its all sorted now! Im glad its quite a simple camera to work on, its firing perfectly now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People have used the focal plane shutter for over 100 years without a problem of the camera jumping out of their hands. In fact the used the focal plane shutter for the higher shutter speeds/
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin