Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,494   Online: 975

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken:
    Here's a thread on the LF Forum about the manufacturer history of Zone VI cameras. The thread was started by someone who had just bought a camera that, by the photos posted, looks exactly like mine. Mine is cherry, with silver nickel-plated hardware, not brass gold-plated, and without a bail back. Front has tilt, swing, and rise/fall, and rear has tilt and swing. What I believe to be the serial number is 267: it is embossed in the black hardware the holds the camera together, and there is a number 67 embossed on the top of the camera bed at the rear.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...106#post348106

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Terry.

I did not know that there was a Zone VI 4x5 version that came before mine. The ones after I was aware of, but not before. I've always been very satisfied with the Wista version. Still have it along with the entire kit I got from Zone VI. Everything works fine. (As do all of the various darkroom items as well. That was good stuff.)

Good link!

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken:
    I'm only slightly bummed that what landed in my lap wasn't the later and arguably better Wista version like yours, with more features like the bail back, but on the upside this Tachihara is very, very light and couldn't be more compact. According to the manual leaflet included, its weight is 3-1/4 lbs. and it measures 3-1/2" x 7-1/4" x 8-1/2" when folded, 12" max. bellows extension.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    I just hit the motherlode yesterday, getting a Zone VI Tachihara 4x5 field camera, two Schneider lenses, two light meters, about fifteen film holders, two lens hoods, dark cloth, assorted glass and Kodak Wratten gelatin filters, lens wrench, Ambico The Shade+ filter holder, self-timer attachment, bubble level, white padded soft case, hard aluminum case, and more, for $600. Outrageous. I had to strike while the credit card was hot.

Anyway, much of this stuff was obviously part of a kit obtained from Zone VI, including this little doohicky. It is a black-painted wooden square, about 1/4" thick and roughly about 2-1/2" square, with an amber- or orange-colored glass filter mounted in the middle, much like a slide. A hole is punched in the corner and a faux-leather thong is threaded through it, presumably for hanging around the neck. A Zone VI logo label was affixed near the opposite corner.

What is this thing? I'll post a picture if there are no obvious guesses. Thanks!
    Viewing filter for B&W work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin