Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,850   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What is this?

I just hit the motherlode yesterday, getting a Zone VI Tachihara 4x5 field camera, two Schneider lenses, two light meters, about fifteen film holders, two lens hoods, dark cloth, assorted glass and Kodak Wratten gelatin filters, lens wrench, Ambico The Shade+ filter holder, self-timer attachment, bubble level, white padded soft case, hard aluminum case, and more, for $600. Outrageous. I had to strike while the credit card was hot.

Anyway, much of this stuff was obviously part of a kit obtained from Zone VI, including this little doohicky. It is a black-painted wooden square, about 1/4" thick and roughly about 2-1/2" square, with an amber- or orange-colored glass filter mounted in the middle, much like a slide. A hole is punched in the corner and a faux-leather thong is threaded through it, presumably for hanging around the neck. A Zone VI logo label was affixed near the opposite corner.

What is this thing? I'll post a picture if there are no obvious guesses. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps its a viewfinder mask when you shoot a different format ie changing for say a 5x4 to a 6x9 roll back?

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    It's a B&W viewing filter. These are used to gauge the tones of a scene, as it removes a lot of the colours of the scene, giving you an approximation of how it will look shot in B&W.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except for the colour hue I would say it is a B&W viewing filter. There were special gelatine filters made for this purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the filter used by those Zone VI B&W viewers was a Wratten #90 monochromatic.

Does it look like this?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken, LJH, and AgX: You're correct! That's what I kind of thought when I saw this thing.
    Ken: It looks somewhat like the one in the link, except mine is painted black wood, and square, instead of circular and plastic.

Thanks for your help!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yours must be an early version then, think it might be a genuine gelatin Wratten #90 between two sheets of glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually that's most likely the case, Bill. The reflection of the filter is "liquidy," as one would expect a gelatin filter to be, but the surfaces aren't flexible. I think you're right. This thing is extremely well constructed, too, as I can't find any obvious way to open the thing up to replace the filter or glass if I wanted to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also curious about the camera. I own an early Zone VI 4x5 from the pre-Wisner era, and it's actually a rosewood Wista 45DXII (no back shift). I am the original owner, so I know it predates the Wisners.

Was there a Tachihara Zone VI model that pre-dates the Wista?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just checked with a 50's Agfa/Orwo filter list: There were even 4 different pre-viewing filters for b&w films depending on sensitization and lighting (all different from Wratten #90), and one nearly-grey filter for colour films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin