Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,566   Online: 768

Shooter
    35mm

Need some help valuing equipment

I've got a friend who needs to offload a lot of darkroom and LF equipment.

He wants me to take it and use it to teach at school with but they won't use it properly.

All the gear is in immaculate condition with a great big case that was specially built for it.

I have a friend who is interested in the kit but we don't know the value of it. If he's not interested in it then I may advertise it here.

I've written down all the details on a piece of paper that I've misplaced so I don't know the intimate details of each lens, just the basic specs.

Sinar C 4*5 Camera (Sinnar F front, P back)

Schneider 75mm
    Schneider 120mm
    Schneider 180mm
    Schneider 180mm f/5.6 Makro
    Schneider 240mm (I think)
    Nikon 300mm APO

I'll update ASAP with the other details when I find that piece of paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8OGtA.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	60616

Shooter
    35mm
    How about looking at lists from used photographic outlets and seeing what they would charge. Remove any tax elelment and there you should have a good approximation of the value of the kit.

OR

I don't know about over where you are, but look again at the used photographic outlets and see what they are asking for certain items. Reduce this by say a 1/3rd which will be their profit mark up and yo0u will get a reasonable figure what they may offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Use advanced search on eBay and "completed listings", that shows you what has and hasn't sold there.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most used gear outlets will generally pay you about half of the price at which they expect to sell it. If this sounds low, keep in mind their overhead plus the fact that if their customer returns it as defective, the dealer doesn't return it to you for refund.

Completed auctions are a good indicator with 2 caveats: 1) it's very much dependent on the completeness of the description and the history of the seller and 2) it's very dependent on geography (especially for the expensive-to-ship monorail).

In general, monorail cameras don't seem to sell well - at least compared to field or technical cameras. Don't ignore the value of accessories, such as bag bellows and lensboards.

But - and this is just my personal opinion (as if the above wasn't personal opinion) - I would look at this somewhat delicate equipment all in a plastic crate with no padding or separation and question how it was cared for. Just my 2 cents.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin