Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,642   Online: 821

Shooter
    Multi Format

Who does Graphex shutter CLA?

Hi All,

I need to get a CLA done on the Graphex #0 shutter for my speed graphic (fitted with the standard 135mm F4.7 optar). The blades are a bit sluggish sometimes and it can be a bit unreliable on B and T settings. Where is recommended (and reasonable) to do the job?

I'm in Europe if that makes a difference...

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact 45PSS or Bert Saunders at www.graflex.org. Bert is a retired Graflex/Graphics repairman who fixed cameras for people in the forum in the past, however he no longer is able to do the repairs himself but he may send instructions via email. 45PSS does repairs.

If the Graphex shutter is sticking, remove the front and rear elements. Likely put graphite on each side and cycle the shutter many times at each shutter speed. Use compressed are to blow the remaining graphite off the shutter before replacing the front and rear elements. It took me at least 100 firings for each shutter speed to get every shutter speed working and working consistently.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi fran

your optar shutter can most likely get a cla
    from one of these people

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/...irer-here.html

the search function works OK here i just typed in CLA + UK and this thread as well as many others.

good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks guys,

jnanian: somehow that didn't turn up when I searched, but its bookmarked now! Thanks for the links.

siriusglass: Thanks for your suggestion. I took the front and rear elements off, and took the front plate and used some PTFE spray (Rocol Ultraglide) to lubricate the mech. As you suggested, I then worked the shutter at all the speeds many times. Some of the PTFE worked its way onto the aperture and shutter. When I cleaned the aperture, there was quite a bit of black that came off on the wipe. It eventually cleaned up AOK though. Likewise on the shutter blades (very careful here!), careful cleaning and repeated working of the blades and cleaning in cycles brought them up clean.

So, the good news is that it now seems to be working perfectly!! All speeds seem correct, all workings are reliable, and the adjustments seem smoother. I need to do more checks over the next few days, but hopefully it will be OK. It was quite cold today when the problem surfaced, so a spell in the fridge and more checks would be in order I think.

Thanks again!

Fran

PS thanks to the poster on another thread that reported the ptfe spray working well for him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to update: the shutter spent a day in the fridge and still worked perfectly.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin