Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,186   Online: 805

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

how tricky is it to shoot with slower shutters for portraits than MF?

Hi all, I am tempted by the gorgeous resolution of LF.

My main concern is the slower shutter speeds required. As I mainly shoot people, often indoors using natural daylight, I wonder whether this type of shooting will work against me and I will have lots of blurred shots.?? Also I read that the Dof can be really unforgiving also, increasing the need for the subject to be still (and/or shoot faster)

I currently shoot Mamiya RZ67 on a tripod and Pentax 67 handheld

Finally, is there a way to view the image the right way round???

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even in this digital age, people are used to being still for getting a picture taken. I find it helps if you tell them how long they need to stay still.
    One second or even a few seconds is generally not a problem, even for kids. For example, look at some of the portraits done on wetplate, 1 or 2 seconds is a short exposure in that realm.

DoF doesn't need to be a big problem either, mostly it's a problem of the subject going forward or back in relation to the camera, most people will move more side to side than fore and aft. Other than that it is what it is, and generally a subject's nose and ears won't both be in focus, if either are. If the basic plane of the face (eyes, cheeks, mouth) are, then you're golden.

Large Format lenses don't have all that much less DoF than a portrait length lens for cameras you have, if you're looking at 4x5.

There are mirror viewing gadgets that invert the image, most of them are specific to one camera or another, but would tend to be adaptable. It's easier though, to get used to composing upside down. It's easier than you might think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exposure, shutter speed and apperture, depends on light and film emulsion, not film format; nice 400 ISO film is available in LF format.
    Good luck with LF!
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertil View Post
    Exposure, shutter speed and apperture, depends on light and film emulsion, not film format
    That's true but generally, people want to use smaller apertures to give similar depth of field that they get from medium format. This leads to longer shutter speeds (or more powerful flash required).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Use a prism instead of a waist level finder.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Hi all, I am tempted by the gorgeous resolution of LF.

My main concern is the slower shutter speeds required. As I mainly shoot people, often indoors using natural daylight, I wonder whether this type of shooting will work against me and I will have lots of blurred shots.?? Also I read that the Dof can be really unforgiving also, increasing the need for the subject to be still (and/or shoot faster)

I currently shoot Mamiya RZ67 on a tripod and Pentax 67 handheld

Thanks

Paul
    Hey Paul,

If you can live with shorter DOF your times should be the same as with MF.

You can try shooting at a higher EI.

As to seeing right way up, well maybe.

I was at a LF seminar and we were doing portraits. I was the subject at one point with an 8x10 and a really nice old portrait pointed at me. The shooter and I switched paces so I could see.

The camera was set close enough to get little more than head and neck, so approaching full size, maybe 80% of life size.

Imagine my surprise when I crawled under the dark cloth and look at the glass and it was upright. Not really but my brain actually did flip it, it really did look upright. That doesn't happen all the time, never seen it on 4x5.

Most of the time the upside down image actually helps me see composition better.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Use a prism instead of a waist level finder.
    Both are problematic on a view camera...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    actually, one of the advantages of large format is the narrower depth of field -- why do you think old pictures look so good? the narrow depth of field automatically (!) isolates your subject, which looks sharper as a result.

Avoid the upside down image the easy way -- get a speed/crown graphic with an external viewfinder.

i was hand-holding speed graphic shots at a 30th of a second today (cloudy day) at f 4.7 -- the bulk of the camera damps the vibration down, I am optimistic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, there are prism finders available for monorails and a very few field cameras but why? Using the ground glass alone will make you a better photographer. It slows you down a bit and also makes you see the composition better. When images are viewed normally you tend to look over things because your eyes and mind correct without you even knowing it.

A college art teacher once taught me to put my drawings in front of a mirror. Just viewing the reversed image really showed me my mistakes.

The larger the film format the smaller the aperture needed to get the same depth of field. You can achieve this in three ways, slower shutter speed, faster film, or increasing the light using hot lights or strobes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses guys. I would prefer to view the ground glass. I shoot this shot indoor with window light with Iso 400 film at 1/60 with a 110mm lens at f2.8

Charlotte, Portra 400, Mamiya RZ67 by The Paul Reid, on Flickr

What would be the equivalent dof, lens and shutter speed to make this shot with a LF camera?

Just approximately?

Thanks for all the comments
    Last edited by 10speeduk; 12-05-2012 at 04:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin