Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 759

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cut 4x5 print paper in 4x5 film holder

Ok guys.. I was thinking how this would work.. Pre-cut 4x5 fiber base paper to go into 4x5 holder. Shoot your image for 5 seconds wide open. close slide like you would exposing fim and processes it in traditional manner in dark room. Something different and experimantal.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Ok guys.. I was thinking how this would work.. Pre-cut 4x5 fiber base paper to go into 4x5 holder. Shoot your image for 5 seconds wide open. close slide like you would exposing fim and processes it in traditional manner in dark room. Something different and experimantal.

ToddB
    You'll wind up with a paper negative, which can be printed by placing a fresh sheet in contact with the negative and exposing to a bright light.

For the negative use EI 4 or so, process in whatever you use for prints.

You can do it with 5x7 and 8x10, too.

edit: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum426/ http://www.largeformatphotography.in...aper-negatives
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-07-2012 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will find that 4x5 film is actually a tiny bit narrower than 4". Measure carefully before cutting, or forever fight to get the paper laying flat in the holder.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    You will find that 4x5 film is actually a tiny bit narrower than 4".
    That's right. Glass plates were 4" wide, then when film took over, metal holders were made to use the film in glass plate holders. These required that the film was slightly smaller than the glass plate size.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    You will find that 4x5 film is actually a tiny bit narrower than 4".
    A vestigial side effect from the days of film sheaths that had to themselves fit into the earlier glass plate holders.

[Steve beat me to it...]

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Todd, if the 4x5 negative to print size relationship is the same as 5x7 you'll find that you can fit the paper into the film holder with a little difficulty w/o cutting for just experimenting. It won't lay quite flat though but it's not bad.
    I'm sure there's lots of information on apug about paper negatives.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    todd
    no need to panic
    its just about 1/16th" you need to trim off
    if you cut too much,
    just use a piece of double stick tape you
    won't even know you had a problem.
    there's no point in sweating the small stuff

you might think to use exhausted print developer to
    develop your print, you won't have over the top
    contrast issues if you flash your paper too ...

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Check out the paper negative sub-forum here on APUG. Lots of good information. Also, be aware of the Harman Direct Positive Paper, a fiber-based paper with an emulsion that, after in-camera exposure, reverses to a positive image in standard paper chemistry.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also, I believe that the Harman paper is cut to film spec, meant to be used in regular holders...but I could be wrong.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe Harmon paper comes in 4X5 and also 3.9X4.9 to fit the holders.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin