Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,024   Online: 688

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mr Du Jour - I've found my spotmeters to be more accurate and predictable than any TTL meter system. For one thing, they CAN be individually calibrated; for another thing, they don't receive
    a reading after jumping thru all kinds of additional hoops that have nothing to do with the basic
    light measurement itself. And I like what a spotmeter is so good at - comparing distinct areas of
    a scene and quickly placing them on a relative scale as well as basepoints of shadow and highlight
    threshold. Good for more than just Zone System work. Now when I'm just out for a casual walk in
    the rain, I might just tuck a Nikon under my parka along with a film with a bit of forgiveness to the
    characteristic curve, and use thru-the-lens metering. But at something like $20 per pop for a dev
    sheet of 8x10 color film, do you think I'm going to risk that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks:

Isn't the primary question whether or not a meter is consistent and linear (where linearity is expected and required)?

IMHO calibration to an exact standard is only useful if all of the rest of your workflow, equipment and materials are also calibrated.

Checking whether a meter is working properly and is reasonably accurate is important.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. LA isn't half as bad as you make it sound.
    I hear you really came to like LA back when you were playing for the Lakers...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin