Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,148   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

4x5 View Camera filters

So as I'm looking to get into 4x5, I'm looking to get a filter set. I'm only really going to be doing black and white photography, so just a basic contrast control set. I've seen that Kodak Wratten filters are a little expensive, so is there any brand I should be looking at? Do any of you shooters find square filters or screw in filters to be better? If I go with square filters, of any type, what holder is best for them?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use the screw-ons, and not many. Yellow, orange, red, and polarizer, though only the yellow lives in my pack. If you have more than one lens, get the biggest diameter filter you need and use step-up filter rings for the other lenses.

UV filters live on the lenses until I start composing -- or if there is rain, mist, etc, then the UV stays on until I am about to click the shutter.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What he said.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yellow-green is nice, I find I use it more than yellow. The effect on the sky is similar to yellow, but it lightens foliage a little, and attenuates red a bit.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the screw ons. I own a polarizer, yellow, orange and red like Vaughn and Serius. I find yellow the most useful for black and white. I have not used the red yet.

The yellow-green sounds interesting, Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use ordinary screw in filters for LF. In fact, i use the same ones i bought years ago for use with the Pentax Spotmatic. I really only use the polarizer and the occasional orange or yellow-green filters anymore. I bought a set of 67 mm filters for use with the larger lenses....210mm Sironar and 90mm Grandagon but, I don't remember ever using them....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well I guess my trouble was deciding between screw ins, and square filters. Assuming I go screw in route, what brands would be best?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too use screw-in, and found after some time that one does not need too many. Therefore I'm using B+W (somewhat expensive, but very good) filters.

I still have a Cokin set, that I'm using when the lens I want to use is bigger than my usual size.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use screw on filters as well. My main two lenses take either 58mm or 67mm filters, and I already had a set of good 67mm filters for MF, so standarised on that size and use a step up ring from the 58mm to 67mm. Like the others, I only take a couple, maybe a yellow and orange and a polarising filter. I also have a couple of graduated neutral density filters, but only take these out when I expect some extreme light, otherwise I prefer to adjust the exposure and then developing times.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have two sets of screw-in filters, one 52mm for a number of smaller lenses and one 67mm set for the larger lenses (I intentionally have no lenses that take larger than a 67mm filter). I use step-up rings to match filter size to the lens accessory thread.

The only real differences between filters from quality makers are 1) coating and 2) brass rings. Coated filters (Heliopan, B+W and Hoya HMC, etc.) perform markedly better in flarey situations. Brass rings don't ever get stuck like aluminum rings can. B+W and Heliopan, as well as some older Nikkor filters have brass rings (not sure about Hoya, but I think not). I got most of my filters used on eBay for very little.

I carry six filters in each kit; yellow, orange, green, red, blue and a polarizer. This latter is by far my most used, followed by orange. Filters are light; it's easy to carry them around and a pain when you don't have one you would like to use.

I also have gels, but they are a pain to use in the field and filter holders are bulky; for field work I prefer screw-ins.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin