Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,485   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

120-135 lens that vignettes on 4x5?

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a lens to use on 4x5, in the 120-135mm range, that would give a nice fall-off at the edges, preferably on the short dimension of the film. Something like the soft edges you get on a full 6x6 Holga frame, which goes close to black in the corners with a nice gradation. So I'd crop the 4x5 to 4x4. Failing that, something that fades out on the long dimension could work.

Shorter focal lengths do this, but I'm having trouble figuring out the right thing to look for at this length.

I'd prefer to find something lightweight in a shutter. Compur with many-blade iris would be good...

Thanks for any ideas!

Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ben
    A short petzval lantern slide lense would works well, though finding one in a shutter is unlikely. You could use a speed graphic with it. or maybe a short wollensak verito @around f4

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It seems like the right stepdown filter on any lens would be another way to achieve this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Ektar 127mm will vignette slightly on 4x5 and have virtually no movements
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just the opposite to what most people are trying to achieve! I reckon any lens that is deigned for 6x9, like 100 to 105mm and preferably old and uncoated to give a more Holgeresque look. A lot of modern 6x9 lenses such as the Sironars or Symmars will usually just cover the 5x4 format...damn them!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Modern 6x9 lenses (like all the Horseman lenses) will have a sharp cutoff at the edge, probably not what you want. I occasionally use the Horseman 75mm on 4x5. The image is sharp right up the the edge of the image circle and it cuts off abruptly.

My 'secret' for getting an image like you describe is to use the accessory Yashica wide angle viewing lens as the taking lens on a TLR.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 12-15-2012 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Depending on the distance you plan to shoot at and the aperture, the Nikon Macro 120mm f/5.6 Nikkor-AM(ED) will vignette "nicely," but mine came in a Copal-0 shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not all old brass lenses give a "Holga" effect. This is an Anthony lens from 1890s wide open: It is sharp right up to the edge and cuts off rather abruptly like a modern lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    get a crappy folder or box camera, and harvest the lens from it.
    you might get lucky and get a shutter too
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone! Will try a couple of folder lenses I have and the mechanical vignette option to see how they look. I'll be using this at 4-5 feet subject distance, which makes it harder to find the right thing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin