Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,010   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The odd one or two get sold to the un-educated (in terms of LF prices etc) at high prices.

At a guess I paid a total of close to $400 for my Crown Graphic & 135mm lens , two Speed Graphics (bought together, one with no shutter) and a Super Graphic. OK the last three needed a little work or parts but all are now in use with only a little extra cost.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Speed which is calibrated for my Kodak Aero-Ektar 178/2.5, for doing portraits. I paid $400 for the Speed & Optar in immaculate condition. I do believe $400 for a Crown is too much. I can sell you a Crown with Optar & Graflok back in great (though not immaculate) condition for $250. Let me know if you're interested.

I also have a Crown, and it's going to be my go-to camera for landscape with my SA 75/5.6 and Nikkor SW 90/8. Until, that is, I get me my Chamonix 45-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I have a Bush and Lomb 210 which is Tessor type, my Crown just does not enough bellows for a 210, I need to use my Speed. For longer lens you really do want a Speed, I think the longist lens for my Crown is a 180. A couple of years ago the Getty had an exhibt on news photography, they had a Speed that the LA times used for sports in the 50s and 60s that had been modifed for a 600mm. There was a photo showing a photographer shooting a Rams game from the sideline on very heavy duty tripod.
    What size is your Crown? 2x3? I ask because the 4x5 Crown's maximum extension is 317 mm, which is plenty for a 210. I b'lieve the OP was asking about 4x5 cameras. Oh, and by the way, a 4x5 Speed Graphic's maximum extension is around 323 mm. No way can a 600 mm lens be used on a 4x5 Speed.

You may be thinking of a modified 4x5 or 5x7 Graflex SLR. Graflex Inc and several other companies made them for sports photographers. See http://books.google.com/books?id=SiE...tha%22&f=false

I've modified a 2x3 Graflex RB Ser. B to use long lenses; the longest I've tried with it is 900 mm. I don't recommend this, internal baffles in the RB that can't be removed vignette badly in portrait orientation with lenses longer than around 250 mm and in landscape orientation with lenses longer than around 500 mm. Not worth the trouble and expense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have a speed and a graflex d both with fp shutters
    and i use the fp shutters all the time.
    worth their weight in gold !

the only downside to a FP shutter is you have to wind them back up.
    i haven't done it in a while, but it is easy to forget the darkslide is out
    wind the shutter and expose the film ... then you say: duh !
    and don't do it for a long long while.

i've had a crown over the years too, and never used it ...

good luck !
    john

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    What size is your Crown? 2x3? I ask because the 4x5 Crown's maximum extension is 317 mm, which is plenty for a 210. I b'lieve the OP was asking about 4x5 cameras. Oh, and by the way, a 4x5 Speed Graphic's maximum extension is around 323 mm. No way can a 600 mm lens be used on a 4x5 Speed.

You may be thinking of a modified 4x5 or 5x7 Graflex SLR. Graflex Inc and several other companies made them for sports photographers. See http://books.google.com/books?id=SiE...tha%22&f=false

I've modified a 2x3 Graflex RB Ser. B to use long lenses; the longest I've tried with it is 900 mm. I don't recommend this, internal baffles in the RB that can't be removed vignette badly in portrait orientation with lenses longer than around 250 mm and in landscape orientation with lenses longer than around 500 mm. Not worth the trouble and expense.
    I have a 4x5 side rangfinder, will full bellows I can focus at infinity with just a little focus, with the speed I can focus quite close, I dont know what the extension is for a speed compared to a crown. The camera at the Getty was a Speed, no rangefinder, sports finders and an extension for the lens which appeared to be a barrell without a shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I have a 4x5 side rangfinder, will full bellows I can focus at infinity with just a little focus, with the speed I can focus quite close, I dont know what the extension is for a speed compared to a crown. The camera at the Getty was a Speed, no rangefinder, sports finders and an extension for the lens which appeared to be a barrell without a shutter.
    Thanks for the reply, which is a bit strange. At the risk of seeming obnoxious, when you use your 210 on your Crown, where do you put the front standard? With the front standard at the very front of the outer bed rail and the rail racked all the way forward you should have 12 1/2" of extension (flange-to-film distance). The 4x5 Speed has 1/4" more extension than the 4x5 Crown.

What you saw at the Getty is very interesting. I wonder how the user focused and composed. The longest lens I use on my 2x3 tandem Graphic (2x3 Speed in back, 2x3 Century in front, light tight coupler between) is a 480. The only way I can focus and compose is on the rear camera's ground glass. Very slow working, hardly suitable for sports photography. An SLR is much faster working. That's why I built my failed Baby Bertha.

Shooter
    35mm
    I didn't use my FP shutter in my speedgraphic for years, but now I have an Aero Ektar barrel lens and it gets a lot of use.

If you plan on using the rangefinder with anything but the lens that came with the camera, look for a side rangefinder setup. The kalart side rangefinders are easy to adjust, the top mounted range finders use cams which may or may not match the lens you want to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin