Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,525   Online: 845

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It is as typographic error. Bear in mind that in the anglo-american world dot and comma have an opposite meaning concerning figures than in other ports of the world.
    I once erroneously typed in a bid on a US-site german-wise and also got something of that kind. But was warned by the system....
    That's the obvious explanation...note that the postage is also given as $1200.00! As you say, dot or comma in the wrong place.

(But the ideas of money laundering and spies are more fun )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope it is not a typo I am about to sell all my lenses on the bay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even if the dot/comma error occurred, he still had to manually enter all the numerals to space it out
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He sure went to extremes to make his ad look like crap, the use of typography is "something else"!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The prices smell like a typo.

The lens, well, it smells like a 400/6.3 Telemar-17. There are several on offer on eBay at much lower prices. See the 1963 GOI catalog, which can be downloaded from: http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm If you look in the catalog, you'll find two other 400/6.3s. I'm pretty sure it isn't an Arktik-A or an Ob-87. None of these lenses has anything like the claimed coverage.

The seller reeks of ignorance.
    What Dan said.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Even if the dot/comma error occurred, he still had to manually enter all the numerals to space it out
    The latter is done by the system automatically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The seller has been inhaling hypo fumes for too long.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    ....As to the price, it could be part of a money-laundering operation.
    Agreed....or, it could be an encrypted/obfuscated message broadcast to the sleeper network of spies and terrorists!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Comparable USAF mapping lenses ran in the range of 900 mm and were not that expensive. The shutter speed of the camera varied but the f stop was fixed as were the filters. I've forgotten the aperture of these lenses. Actually, the f stop could be varied by an insert before flight.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron, see, e.g, post #17 in this thread. Mapping lenses are typically nearly symmetrical wide angle lenses with very low distortion. The Telemar-17 is a telephoto lens, i.e., very asymmetrical, with less coverage than one would expect given the focal length (30 degrees, per the GOI catalog, was used on a camera that shot 5" x 7" on who knows what) and probably doesn't have low distortion.

These days serious mapping lenses are much shorter than 900 mm. My USAF datasheets aren't as relevant to this as I'd like them to be because they cut off around 1970. Even so, all of the long lenses in them are Type Is (reconnaissance). The longest Type IIs (aerial mapping) are six inchers that cover 9" x 9" on 10" roll film. Zeiss (BRD and DDR) and Wild may have made a few mapping lens types longer than 6", I'm feeling lazy and am not going to go looking for them. Asking prices for used modern mapping lenses make most LF lenses look cheap.

Reconnaissance cameras aren't all fixed aperture -- I've bought some with shutter preferred auto exposure -- and I'd be surprised if modern mapping cameras didn't have autoexposure too. Most of the aerial cameras and lenses for/from them offered on eBay are relatively ancient reconnaissance types, are far from representative of the last generation of reconnaissance cameras that used film. That Telemar-17 is a 1948 design, not quite today's state-of-the art.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin